Refinishing Khorns (horn box)

JTA

I have a pair of Decorator Khorns that I am about to have refinished, similar to the attached picture. I have been considering not building the horn box around the mid and hf horns and leaving them exposed as referenced in the picture. Does the lack of the horn box have any impact on sound?

post-17903-1381926900816_thumb.jpg

Guest Anonymous

JTA what year are your Decorator Khorns , and how you going to refinish them .I have a pair of 68 Decorator Khorns in the factory Theatre black finish ,I am in the process of refinishing them but just the fronts and adding a kick toe at the bottom.Mine are going to be refinished in piano black, my goal is to make them both look like two black mirrors.I should have them refinished by the end of the week and will post picks...Tony C

Ricktate.....Your wrong...Do not cut that point off. Thats the correct distence from horn slot to corner. To form last horn flair. The corners are the last to form horn mouth. You would constrict that last few feet of horn path. What you see is forshortened in site. That is the slot& verticle back board to form final horn mouth & the top board determind distance from corner.

Wait a minute, guys. The back corner as seen in his pic can be left as is -or- cut off as desired. Here's a side-shot of "B" type cabinets. Note the top of the high frequency cabinet also has the complete "corner" on it, but not the top of the bass cabinet, as in the prior pic. Won't hurt anything if its there or not - it is NOT part of the horn channel in any case, as long as the tailboard gets a good "seal" in the corner. The full corner piece is there to prevent "things" from falling down behind the cabinet AND THAT'S ALL!

Khorn_sidepic.jpg

DM2.gif