looking for a 50" DLP

GOLDDOWN

I currently have my one good eye on the new Sony KDF-E50A10, 50" Grand Wega High-Definition rear-projection LCD TV and will be doing more looking at competitive models like the new Samsung

I like it for a couple reasons:

1. good bright picture

2. smaller cabinet, this 50" is smaller then their older 42"

3. includes an HD tuner, not just HD ready

4. can be had for under $2200

www.crutchfield.com/S-IXOvUcDnC5n/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=147350&I=158KD50A10

Samsung.DLP HDTV 61" . I love mine, did a heck of a lot of research beforehand, and when I got it home and it was even better.

The Samsung DVD players that upconvert the DVD signal through DVI cable to 1080i do an amazing job too. Some movies just as good as Hi Def from Comcast IMO.. I figured if there was a tweek in the Samsung DVD player to a Samsung DLP TV it would make the DLP look even better somehow. I was right.. My 800.00 older Denon looks crappy compared to the Samsung DVD player..

Another vote for the Samsung, I have a 56" (pedestal design). Not sure

about current model numbers, but make sure it has the HD2+ chip. Also

they have 1080P models now, but they're far more expensive than the

720P models.

Is there a certain model # I should look for on the Samsung.

You can check SAMSUNG's website. I would go for the new ones that comes

out with 1080p resolution model HLRxxx8W. Check out the AVSFORUM RPTV (Rear projection TV) forums for more info. They had very good reviews.

I too have the pedestal model. Looks very nice but it's a pain to move (if you are going to move it).

I work for Best Buy and think I may know where the "lots of returns" statement may have come from regarding the HD-ILA. Last years JVC had a nice and bright picture, however, low-resolution sources looked really bad because it seemed to enhance all of the imperfections that most of the DLP and LCD's seemed to minimize. If that particular Best Buy didn't have the new JVC out and the associate was unaware of the new one, I can somewhat understand why he/she would say that (although it is only a half-truth). I absolutely love the new JVC, it looks very detailed on HD sources and seems about on-par with the other sets with low-resolution stuff. My only advice to you is to be patient and not pick a TV based on the type of technology it is, but rather on what your eyes (and maybe pocketbook) tell you is the right TV for you. Personally speaking, I have a DLP and aesthetics (fortunately or unfortunately) played a big role in choosing the LG 52SX4D DLP. I think the picture is a little softer than some of the other models on HD, but, properly set-up, it does a really good job with low-resolution sources and has a great list of features (inputs, outputs, settings), and it is a very modern/elegant (in the eye of the beholder) looking TV even when turned off.

petrol have you compared the Sony to the Samsung? I like the look of the Sony, I didn't notice it was trimmed down that much. Which one has the wides(t) cabinet? however I am more concern about the picture

Are you kidding, anyone who knows me well will tell you I shop and beat myself almost to death when making a purchase decision. Prior to the new Sony tossing the matter into question, the Samsung was my choice. (the cabinets are within a half inch of each other in width but the Samsung is about 4" taller . . . the new Sony is a pretty compact package, something that is a concern for folks with a small space like me. I also like that the new Sony has a darker gray bezel instead of the bright silver which I find distracting. I actually really liked the LG model as well.

Anyway, this thread got me even more excited about my desires to get a replacement for my 27" CRT

So, while at Sears this past Sunday buying a new Shop-Vac, I wondered over to the electronic dept . . . They had the new Samsung 'floating-screen' (which I had already looked several times) sitting right next to the new Sony . . . I wondered right up and noticed the "sale" price on each.

It didn't take long for the wife to find me and while the salesman stood by, I showed her and explained all I had learned about each. She liked the Sony. When I told the salesman that Best buy had the Sony 42" model in a sales flyer for $1599 he eagerly said he would price match, throw in 10% of the $500 price differance along with some free 6' Monster componant cables and 1 year no interest financing . . . Much to my surprise . . . Heck, That is far cheaper then the Sony 40" XRB HD CRT that I was also considering.

I'll have my new Sony KDF-E42A10, 42" Grand Wega High-Definition rear-projection LCD TV first part of next week.

I have already been hard at work designing a new tv stand that I'll built to hold it, my existing reciever, dvd player, trusty vcr and have drawers for cd/dvd storage

I think that he means the new Samsung DLP's on which the bezel for the picture is black and has a small gap (maybe 2 inches at most) between that and the speakers which are silver. I haven't seen a new Samsung pedestal DLP yet. Good call on the Sony...very nice picture and a cabinet that allows the maximum picture size for the available space.

P.S. Should have come to see me, I would have beat the Sears price....

I think that he means the new Samsung DLP's on which the bezel for the picture is black and has a small gap (maybe 2 inches at most) between that and the speakers which are silver. I haven't seen a new Samsung pedestal DLP yet. Good call on the Sony...very nice picture and a cabinet that allows the maximum picture size for the available space.

P.S. Should have come to see me, I would have beat the Sears price....

Argh!!!

ah, wait! Your in Texas... what about Sears free "in-home-delivery"... their "12 months same as cash" and cables???

Anyway, I don't know how to post a PIC of the afore mentioned Samsung with what they call their "floating screen" . . .

"..The "floating screen" styling is a new look for Samsung note the narrow gap separating the screen and base.."

so I'll post a link instead:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-iIvwC6K1yD2/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=147350&id=morephotosπ=3&i=305HLR4266&display=L#Tab

I would have easily been happy to buy the samsung, if it were the one with the better deal, they both have great pictures that I have spent a good deal of time trying to decided which I liked better... as it was, the price and my wife's prefferances tipped the scales in Sony's favor.