Carver amplifier problem

I bought a Carver amp on Craigslist ($20) and it works except the left channel is much quieter than the right. If I turn the balance knob to the left side I can eventually get the left channel to be full volume but I can't move it back to the middle or I'll lose the left channel. What could be wrong with it?

This is a picture of the amp, it doesn't have a model number on it..

http://i10.ebayimg.com/01/i/04/a4/f2/8b_1_b.JPG

It sounds like the amp section on one side is not operating and only the opamp is working. It may be as simple as the rail fuses are blown and need to be replaced. If fuses are blown, the exact same type of fuse must be used to replace the blown fuses.

If more work is required, call Sunfire Corp. to talk to tech support. They support and repair older Carver gear.

Bill

Michael

Sounds like you have it working OK for now.

But from what I can see in your pictures the black spot where the resistors are located can normally run pretty warm but sometimes manufactures haven't engineered the PC Board Well enough to take this into account and also if the solder connections to these resistors are beginning to fail the solder joint can heat up and start to burn the board leading to an eventual failure.

If you are comfortable working on electronics you might be well advised to look at the solder connections to these parts and possibly resoldering these connections if the circuit board hasn't burned to badly. If the Board has become very fragile then you have no choice but to cut out the bad part of the circuit board and using some good wire to replace the bad circuit traces which is much more difficult and really depends on the individual circuit layout if this is even possible. There use to be some circuit board repair kits avaible but its been so long I wouldn't know where to tell you to find it quickly.

mike1.gif