Sub Output on 5.1 Analog Inputs - I'm Stumpted!

whell

OK folks, need your help on this one. I've tried as many fixes as I can think of, but whenever I switch over to my receiver's 5.1 analog inputs to playback from my DVD, it seems the subwoofer signal "disappears".

My equipment is listed below. I've tried accessing my DVD's set up menu to make sure that the sub output is activated, increase the DB output of the sub, lower the output of the other channels (which made the whole sonic presentation lousy). In 2 channel or multi-channel, with the receiver doing the processing for the sub output, everything is A-OK. Its just the 5.1 analog output that seems to giving me trouble.

Any thoughts?

Well, it depends on the source material. If you are trying to play back a 2-Channel disc, you won't get any subwoofer. On a DVD with 5.1, Dolby or DTS, it should work, but there has to be a LFE track on the disc, some discs simply don't have it.

This is a common issue. The problem is that over a digital link your receiver will perform bass management and route all bass below your setpoint (100, 80, 60 etc..) to your subwoofer thereby giving you loads of bass (esp of you have small speakers). Almost no receivers and very few players will perform any bass management on 5.1 analog signals. This is the main difference. If there is not any bass on the .1 channel your subwoofer will remain silent using the analog inputs/outputs.

Hope this helps to explain what is going on in your system.

Laters,

Jeff

Just a simple thing to check...have you tried plugging your subwoofer directly into your player instead of trying to send the signal through the reciever? If your subwoofer plays that way, then perhaps you need to look at the settings on your reciever too (I wonder if there isn't a seperate preout for the subwoofer when running the analog inputs from your player or something stupid like that).

----------------

On 8/8/2005 10:42:04 AM eq_shadimar wrote:

This is a common issue. The problem is that over a digital link your receiver will perform bass management and route all bass below your setpoint (100, 80, 60 etc..) to your subwoofer thereby giving you loads of bass (esp of you have small speakers). Almost no receivers and very few players will perform any bass management on 5.1 analog signals. This is the main difference. If there is not any bass on the .1 channel your subwoofer will remain silent using the analog inputs/outputs.

Hope this helps to explain what is going on in your system.

Laters,

Jeff

----------------

Interestingly enough, the Integra is supposed to have bass management, and I thought that I had this feature set up correctly as well. Maybe worth a 2nd check, anyway.