RF7 Run in time ? + amp match ?

Hi all,

I'm a newbie to this forum.

I have just bought a pair of RF7s speakers to replace my aging old Sound Dynamics dinosaurs.Can anyone suggest a suitable run in time for them and what volume should I be running them at in this period ?

I will be running a Denon AVR2000 amp (110w per channel)for now until I can afford to upgrade.

From what I have read a Rotel RA 1070 amp may be ideal.Does anyone have any recommendations for an amp that will work well with these speakers.Is this integrated amp a feasible option or should I go the preamp/power amp avenue ?I am running a Rotel RCD 1072 Cd player.I play mainly blues or blues rock music.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Ron

Any advice?

In your profile, please specify your system: amps, subs, room size, most tastes, preferred volume level, etc. This will give thoughtful posters more of the right information they need to make insightful suggestions. Thanks.

and welcome!10.gif

Ask me later on today! I'm in your boat and after some good input from the folks here I went ahead and purchased a (used) sunfire symphonic reference 250x2 amp...and it is supposed to be delivered today (if UPS tracking is accurate)...I've been using my Denon 3805 so I should be able to tell later on today if it sounds a lot better...I'm hoping to have a significantly warmer sound after hooking up the high current amp...

just about any amp that can handle low impedances and still deliver solid clean power will do the RF-7's justice.

If you bought your speakers from a dealer, then I'm sure he would be more than willing to let you try out a few amps before you purchase. Trying something for yourself is really the best advice anyone can give because you're the one that will have to live with the decision 2.gif

As far as break in time, I'm of the crowd that it doesn't exist and that it will take your ears longer to adjust to the new sound, than any differences there might be with the performance of the speaker.

Yes, Rotel goes very well with the RF-7's. I've read claims that it gives a stunning sound quality, mine included. I see Rotel RB-1080 and RF-7 more than I do the RB-1090 and RF-7. I'm using the Rotel RB-1090 and Rotel RC-1090 pre, very happy with the sound combo with the RF-7's. You can check out the Rotel forum over on the www.htguide.com/forum where there are Rotel/Klipsch users who report being very pleased with the Klipsch/Rotel combo sound. Good luck!

Thanks to all for the welcome and the advice.

When I purchased the RF7s I heard them through an RA 1070/RB1070 pre/power amp combination and an RCD 1072 Cd player.I was impressed with how the RF7s sounded with this.Unfortunately my budget will prevent me from getting the amps at the moment.I will try my Denon AVR2000 in the interim.It has 110w a channel was made in Japan and should be acceptable for now.

I assume that the "run in" period for the RF7s is a debatable issue.

Can I also assume that no real damage will be done to them out of the box at any listenable level ? Burn in is not required for the integrity of the speaker but purely an enhanced sound ? Is that correct ?

Also I am now trying to work out if it is worth me bi wirring the RF7s ?

I am using the old Kimber Kable 4PR cable I used with my old Sound Dynamics.

Thanks so much for any help.I only have a basic knowledge of hifi setup.

Regards Ron

----------------

On 8/9/2005 1:00:36 AM texasbluesdownunder wrote:

Thanks to all for the welcome and the advice.

When I purchased the RF7s I heard them through an RA 1070/RB1070 pre/power amp combination and an RCD 1072 Cd player.I was impressed with how the RF7s sounded with this.Unfortunately my budget will prevent me from getting the amps at the moment.I will try my Denon AVR2000 in the interim.It has 110w a channel was made in Japan and should be acceptable for now.

I assume that the "run in" period for the RF7s is a debatable issue.

Can I also assume that no real damage will be done to them out of the box at any listenable level ? Burn in is not required for the integrity of the speaker but purely an enhanced sound ? Is that correct ?

Also I am now trying to work out if it is worth me bi wirring the RF7s ?

I am using the old Kimber Kable 4PR cable I used with my old Sound Dynamics.

Thanks so much for any help.I only have a basic knowledge of hifi setup.

Regards Ron

----------------

Damage to speakers is usually caused by over-driving your amplifier. Klipsch speakers can handle gobs of CLEAN power, and you can assume that your ears will start to bleed with the RF-7s before you've exceeded your amps capabilities.

The impact of Bi-wiring is debatable. I happeded to get a steal of a deal on bi-wire speaker cable and gave it a go with my RF-7's. Can't say that I heard much, if any, difference.

The impact of burn in for electronics is also debatable. On the other hand, running the Klipsch at moderate volume for a week or two could help "break in" the rubber surrounds on the mid-bass drivers.

You must play the RF7's for precisely 17 hours with 2 watts input, then move up to 5 watts for the next 13 hours. Otherwise they're ruined for life. They'll never be the same.

Really, I agree with DrWho. There is no such thing as 'break in time' for speakers.

Cars yes, speakers no. (yes this is called sarcasm)

Enjoy- let er rip man!

Michael