This is what I do when I become frustrated with the construction

damonrpayne

Damon, forget that khorn 'sweet spot' nonsense.

IMHO!, If that speaker system has such terrible 'slightly-off-axis-response' that you have to sit exactly in the perfect convergence of the exact center line of each speaker, something is terribly wrong. That is a 90 degree horn, and even with some beaming of higher frequencies, it should do much better than some people give it credit for. I'm not intending to flame here, just trying to say the a great speaker like Klipschorn probably gives better response than a lot of Forum members indicate.

If I bought them and had to sit in the exact sweet spot, I'd sell in a heartbeat.

Good to see you're sticking with the vertical Cornwall idea.

Michael

They have not broken ground yet!!! WTF.

Nice room, can't wait to see it when your done.

Maybe I should not share this story, but here it goes. One house I built, I had a golden mean listening room in the basement, one afternoon I swing by the site and there is a hot water heater sitting in my room space7.gif Made the plumber move it, he was not happy.

JM

Damon, I give this advice because I care about you and your home building project. For what its worth...

This can be a very long love/hate relationship. Try to stay at peace and communicate only with your contractor. I used to be in the building trades. If you raise your voice to any one of the workers, your home will take forever to complete. They will find any reason to work on another project. And most crews have backlogs of work these days.

I recommend the 'brownie' approach. The occasional jug of lemonade on a hot day or home baked goodies goes a long way with these guys.

Unless you're ready to pick up a hammer, stay out of the way...LOL

Michael

ps I could never have a home built today- I'd kill them all. I bought a very solid home built in 1955. Stone exterior, real plaster insides, radiant heat- old fashioned but no wolf can huff and puff this place!

I'm currently living in my 4th home and it's the 4th home I've had built (see???? I told you I was a masochist!1.gif). Anyhow.....

Having been around a Dad who built a couple of additions on homes, I felt pretty confident I was equipped to deal with the home building experience. BZZZZZZZT - wrong! You see, I had been ruined by my Dad. Why?? Because he had shown me how to do things right! So my first house (spec home) was a royal PITA. Adversarial doesn't even begin to describe it. But I learned.

The second home (also a spec) went a bit more smoothly, but there were disagreements mostly over me wanting to do things the builder felt was "out of scope". Fine - no problem. This was where I learned the fine art of making a "Big Deal" over the work some subcontractor had done in his presence. You know, like, "Dude!!! That stone work you're doing to the fireplace is amazing!! How in the hell do you know how to fit pieces like that! I could never learn to do that. I hope the builder is paying you good money. Damn you do good work. Listen...., if you have some stone left over, do you think you could place some stone over here too?"11.gif

Third home was a semi-custom. By now I had my sh*t together with reagrds to the fine art of firm diplomancy with reagrds to the builder. That, coupled with my ability to talk-the-talk and glad hand the subs, made that house almost a breeze.

The one I'm in now could be considered a custom and it was virtually a piece of cake. The builder's project manager & I got along great. He was a part owner and was having some real issues with the way his partner was running the front end/office portion of the business. I siezed upon that weakness and the result was a house that got loaded up with trim and custom touches here & there at no up-charge. All the subs knew me too from either praising them or the styrofoam ice chest with beer that was left on Friday afternoons.

What's that old saying about more fly's with honey than vinegar??? 1.gif

Tom

well i have no experience with building houses, but I did want to make a comment on the proposed layout...

First of all, it looks real nice...it's certainly going to be something to make people jealous of once you get it all built. It reminds me a lot of malotky's setup.

Ok, I'm thining you might want to switch up the cornwall and heresy speakers. When you have all the seats filled, people will be blocking the sound if you don't have the speakers mounted up high and pointing down. At least I can't picture you wanting to hang cornwalls from the cieling 2.gif Also, I believe that the rear surrounds are the ones that end up playing whenever you have a 5.1 format - It might be worth some research to see if you will be satisfied with the matrixing capabilities of your reciever (ie, will it work with a 5.1 cable feed?)

I would also consider moving the rack back just a bit. It seems to be in a position where it might be distracting when watching a movie (peripheral vision and all that). It also seems a bit close to the khorn up front. Or maybe it's just the drawing 2.gif

It looks like the second row of seating is going to be on a riser? Any plans for subwoofers isntalled underneathe? you're not going to leave that little svs guy all alone and surrounded by those other klipsch bullies are you? 10.gif

Hey Dr,

Actually I am changing the drawing to have 4 heresies instead of the cornwalls. I don't plan on putting anyting under the stadium seat, it seems 'gimmick-y' to me and what I really care most about is good sound. I will only have so much cash to spend on "version 1" but eventually the SVS will go away to be replaced with whatever the "reference premier" ends up being or a pair of the THX Ultra subs.

My processing will come from my Aragon Stage 1.

As for mounting the sides/rear surrounds, can you think of a way I can do so without harming/drilling the speakers? I may want to sell them or move some day.

That's the spirit Tom. I was a remodeler for like 10 years. I could never deal with the stress of having a home built. My brother and I stick-framed and did all drywall work and trim on his 4500 ft sq monster. But I had to bite my tongue at every sub.

Michael

----------------

On 8/10/2005 1:52:51 PM damonrpayne wrote:

As for mounting the sides/rear surrounds, can you think of a way I can do so without harming/drilling the speakers? I may want to sell them or move some day.

----------------

Well you could do what malotky did for his surrounds. If you don't wanna damage the back panel, you could always construct a new one. Not sure how you would go about avoiding damage to the walls/cieling though if you ever moved...

Building is a pain. But it is well worth it when you get what you want, and it is cheaper than buying a house. I could never afford my house in my subdivision if I had to buy one outright.

You could build a shelf to hold your heresys. Angle them down and put a lip on the front to keep them in place. Stain them to match your heresy color. Could have a really beefy wall mount that could be mostly hidden behind the speaker.

Want me to start designing one??? I have autocad.

JM

damon - Take a look at my thread entitled "Heresy mount bracket" in the Updates & Modifications forum. It was a very easy project. I made a new back panel for my Heresy's in the event I wanted to sell my Heresy's. If your ceiling height is high enough, the design (which I plaugerized from JM) could easily be adapted to mount the Heresy's vertically. If you need more info than what the photos convey, I'd be more than happy to call you and we can chat.

Tom