This is what I do when I become frustrated with the construction

damonrpayne

I'll help you Damon.

One thing I did notice when I was fooling around with the idea of hanging Heresys is that mounting the long side (Horz) of the Heresy tight with the ceiling did give it more fuller bass sound than the small side (vert).

We should set up some equipment at the bottom of your hole and take a before pic1.gif That would be fun.

JM

----------------

On 8/10/2005 11:58:03 AM Tom Adams wrote:

The one I'm in now could be considered a custom and it was virtually a piece of cake. The builder's project manager & I got along great. .... All the subs knew me too from either praising them or the styrofoam ice chest with beer that was left on Friday afternoons.

What's that old saying about more fly's with honey than vinegar???
1.gif

----------------

Good advice, and do your best to befriend both the contractor and the subs. You are basically part of a "team". Convenience them and generally they will return the favour.

----------------

On 8/10/2005 9:39:25 PM j-malotky wrote:

Building is a pain. But it is well worth it when you get what you want, and it is cheaper than buying a house. I could never afford my house in my subdivision if I had to buy one outright.

----------------

Guess it depends on the market, as it'll cost more to build for yourself here, than to get it built. The only saving would be any manual labour you provide (which technically is frowned upon by the construction union). Sad for the contractors, but the competition is tough in our area.

Nice room BTW...

Rob

Heh that would be a lot of trouble to get my junk out of storage to drag over there.

They are doing my footings today, maybe my blocks will be up next week!

I swing by every morning and afternoon to see what they are doing, I suppose I'll start the bribes with the basement crew. I keep a level, tape measure, square, and lawn chair in my trunk at all times.

Hey Damon, reminds me of myself just over a year ago. At least you're not living in a van down by the river! 9.gif I'll again suggest going with the beer/donuts/lemonade offerings, you'll get a lot better and quicker job than if you simply look for the faults and focus on them instead of mentioning them after you've patted a few backs over something that may be spectacular, or may be average/acceptable, but if you make it seem like YOU think it's great, the guys will be feelin the love and more apt to make some of the not so right things back to right again.

Example: We have a large room downstairs, have a big steel beam recessed up into the floor joists to support that half of the main floor, but the span was too great to be self standing, so we had to put in a support pole in the middle of it. As they were prepping the floor and lying the in-floor heating grids, I could tell the pole wasn't quite square with the world, but figured they'd straighten it before they laid the concrete for the floor. Got home the day the floor was poured, pole still cockeyed. Maybe 3-4 degrees, just enough to notice if you look closely at it. I mentioned it to the guys the next morning, the foreman said yeah, he'd noticed it earlier too, but forgot to get it straight before the floor was poured, but they could let it dry, cut out that section of the floor, redo the infloor with some splices, and repour the area so it was straight. (This whole time, I'm thinking to myself, so what, it's not like I'm going to leave a bare pole out in the midle of the game room, it's going to get covered by wood anyway, it was maybe off 3/4 an inch from top to bottom of the pole with an 8' height, no structural problem, just not pretty.) I tell him no, no, not that big of a deal, don't go through all that to get the pole straight. He seemed all apologetic, and I feel he was sincere, cause a day or two later when I got home, they'd put up sheetrock behind the furnace and up against the stairwell that they weren't supposed to, we were going to finish out that room ourselves, but he said he didn't want us to hear the well running or the water heater or air exchanger and thought the noise would travel up the stairwell even though there was already a wall there. Wall was there on top of the stairs, but not under them, hope that makes sense. Anyway, long story short, which it's already too late for, one place in my construction dealings where yeah, it wasn't perfect, but it also wasn't a factor to me, but by making it seem somewhat so to the builder, he went above and beyond what was expected because he knew I was letting him off the hook for a lot bigger job.

Still working, or waiting to work on, my listening room, last few weeks have been 12 pallets of sod, black dirt in wheelbarrows, building rock retaining walls with bobcats, grass seed, lake pump and associated plumbing, wiring 220 from a new breaker through the house and down to the lake to power up the pump, wiring and burying a power feed from the downstairs out to the dock so we have lights and power for battery chargers, cutting up a few trees we lost in a storm, mowing 1/2 an acre of new sod/seed with the push mower so the rider doesn't rip up the new grass, working 50-60 hours a week and FINALLY getting out to a touney this past weekend. Didn't do bad if I do say so myself.

***WARNING*** The following link contains a pic of me, please, ask children and delicate women to leave the room, or at least avert their eyes.

Craigs Tourney Results

early in the am bagels and coffee.... friday at 4 pm maybe even a 12 pack of beer..LOL.. Did wonders for me!!

OH, and home made brownies for the inside crews too....always a home run. I got extra tile work done. A few dollars here, there, etc., just by being nice asking politely and appreciating their work I got some extra stuff done too. I suggest u do the same.

Watch the little things like electrical stuff where u need it "Before" it is in.. Work with them. Good LUCK!