Trahorn Variations?

dhsettim

Hi ya all, I like the idea of Al's Trahorn, but I also like the idea of having an upgrade path. So with the current 1 inch throat Trahorn what other drivers would others recommend besides the Klispch? Also Al, I fancy the idea of "cutting off" the horn at the 1.4 inch throat area and having an adapter plate so that a 1.4 inch driver or a 1 inch driver (with different adapter)could be tried. Same for a 2 inch throat. Not easy I would imagine but must be possible by someone clever and that could be an option to offer. This seems a good idea to me as from what I understand it is difficult to get a 1 inch driver down to below 400Hz to truly match the bass horn cutoff. And Al thank you being so generous for putting all the Trahorn information in the public domain. I'll buy ya a beer when ya come to New Zealand.

cheers, tim

Hi Tim, there really isn't anything out there at 1" that goes to 400 cleanly unless you go the vintage route. As far as cutting off the horn goes -- it would be a shame to chop on such a nice piece of work. You might be better off seeing if Bill Martinelli would build you a pair to accomodate the driver of your choice. I personally think it sounds insanely good just the way it is. The signature Heritage sound is intoxicating in its own right, and it really just needs a bit of cleaning up -- not a complete overhaul. Unless one has a huge room and/or listens at deafening levels, I think the 1" drivers are fine. Trachorns, a nice network with high quality parts, and possibly a tweeter upgrade -- and the sound is very, very sweet.

Guys,

I don't think you could cut the throat end for severl reasons. The main one is the wooden construction at the end just would not allow it. You would need to make an entirely new drive mounting board and all its supports. The other is the expansion moves quickly away from a square cross section as you move toward the mouth. It would be possible the devlop a special horn designed for a larger driver if there is a demand. I suspect there is not though. I am considering a drop-in replacement for the Belle (K500) horn though.

Al k.