An amp that really slams!

----------------

On 8/14/2005 8:53:04 AM Spkrdctr wrote:

I too, like the Crown K1 amp. It is perfect for taking masive abuse and does not make any fan noise. It would be better if they made it in a version with all home audio connections for "ease of use".

----------------

But then it would cost twice as much (gotta love marketing) 15.gif

How about a rotary phase converter to generate 3-phase? They're popular with machine tools, even electronic ones, although I don't know if it poses any problems with audio equipment. That amp looks like it would be a kick to use.

Aren't most of those military 3-phase turnbine generators 440Hz?

----------------

On 8/14/2005 3:17:25 PM John in MA wrote:

Aren't most of those military 3-phase turnbine generators 440Hz?

----------------

Most military units are 400Hz (aviation standard).

Here's a good "civilian" model:

Solar Spartan Model T-351N

EM Synchronous Generator End

250 KVA

200 KW

120/208 Volts, 694 Amps

139/240 Volts, 600 Amps

240/416 Volts, 347 Amps

277/480 Volts, 300 Amps

3 phase

60 Hz

3600 RPM

3 Pole

Sound attenuated enclosure

Fuel consumption: 40 gal/hr

----------------

On 8/12/2005 11:52:05 PM crazytubepower wrote:

I'm on the quest for yet another amp, but I want one that will slam my rf-3's to their max without sacrificing transparity in the mids and highs. Tube or SS sugestions welcome. Will be running a tube pre, as my budget is concerned I would like it to be under $1000, the lower the better, however I will pay up to that ammount.
----------------

Why would someone with the user name crazytubepower entertain the idea of getting a Solid State amp ? You would have to change your user name to crazytubeandorsspower . Stick to tubes .

11.gif

The guy who just landed a Carver sounds pretty good and I have considered a Crown K1 or K2 and right now on Audiogon there is a K2 for about $850. The Aragon 4004 3dzapper has for sale looks like a bargain although I've not read much about that one.

The slam everybody is talking about with the Pro amps has my attention.3.gif

Our own threads Dragonfyr has pointed out some 'issues' that are worth considering before buying a Carver, ala high distortion, ability to deliver rated power, etc. Although the spec problems do not mean it might not appeal to you sonically....

I'd suggest looking at the QSC PLX series.

http://www.qscaudio.com/products/amps/plx/plx.htm

Dean and others here have owned and liked them. Power and good numbers at sub $1000 cost (c.$700 for the 300 watt model) Just buy a drop in quiet fan replacement.

The PLX was dressed up (quiet fan--better cosmetics) briefly and sold as a high-end home 'reference' amp (the SRA series).

Mark

----------------

On 8/15/2005 10:01:24 AM Speedball wrote:

My SVS cylinder has plenty of low end, it's just that the mids come across too politely...no slam.
1.gif

When I borrowed for a few day a 250 watt per side amp it cam across with more grunt/slam than with my 120 watt Sonographe.

----------------

Have you tried tweaking the phase on your sub?

You can get used Threshold, Forte and Nakamichi amps around or under the $1000 mark. Made to kick serious *** but also to deliver very low distortion even at very low levels. STASIS was the trademark of the amp design which is class A/A-B combination. I have a Nak STASIS reciever (100 W) and I've not heard a reasonably priced amp that can touch it. When I went to audition replacements for my deceased TA-2 STATIS I was not impressed with what I was willing to spend (Yamaha, Sony, Onkyo Integra, H-K, Denon) so just bought a used TA-4.

The Nak STATIS recievers can be used as amps only too, so if you want to try one on the cheap, you can get a 40w version for around $100-$200, and it's a steal. The seperates seem to go for $500-$4000+ for the Threshold monoblocks.

• Like 1

Yes Dr. Who,

My sub is high enough I hardly have to bend over to reach the controls and I've adjusted it zillions of times. But since you mention it I will try it again since it has just been moved back into the main listening area.

-----------

DGB,

I just feel a little more comfortable with the newer amps versus the "big old amps" that have been around forever unless I knew the owner and that will probably never happen.

----------------

On 8/15/2005 4:53:45 PM Speedball wrote:

Yes Dr. Who,

My sub is high enough I hardly have to bend over to reach the controls and I've adjusted it zillions of times. But since you mention it I will try it again since it has just been moved back into the main listening area.

----------------

Allow me to suggest a method that I've picked up along the way...reverse the polarity on your mains by reversing the red and black cables at the speaker. Then play some bass heavy music and adjust the phase until you hear as little bass as possible. Once accomplished, reverse the polarity on your mains back to normal and your subwoofer should now be very close to perfectly in phase with the mains.

Btw, I also have no doubt that you get more bass with a higher wattage amp...it prob handles the lower impedance dips in the LF better. There's no going back after hearing a good quality "pro" amp (and yes, I am biased towards the crown sound).