pre-pro under $2000

rich0372

Any recommendations here's the list I came up with

Rotel 1068 $1600

Sherwood-newcasle p965 $1499

B&K ref 50 $2000

Arcam avp700 $2000

Feel free to add any others I am 50/50 music movies my system is as follows

klf30s main klf20s surrounds 2 klf c7s front and rear centers earthquake cinenova grande 3&5 channel amps sunfire sig sub monster 5100 sig power center I have a pioneer elite vsx 43tx reciever that I want to replace thanks in advance Rich

Hey there,

The choices that you've listed are no doubt good. Especially the Rotel because I used it for quite a while before giving it back to the dealer at a slight loss.

My sincere suggestion is to increase your budget and wait a while and then delve into something that'll give you a great upgrade path for the future. Like the Lexicon MC-12 or MC-8, or the Meridien 568.2.

Both these are worth looking into and can be had new starting just over 5k. So yes, the budget is put out of whack, but if it's at all possible to increase the budget, even at a later stage, then do it.

That's what I've been doing, saving up for the stupid MC-8, and one of these days I'll actually pick one up.

In the meantime, I'm making do with an old Marantz pre-pro.

Later,

-F

You might go find yourself a used Acurus Act III, if you're not into SACD or DVD-A. For music, you can't beat it, and its DTS and Dolby D decoding is at least as good, if not better, than alot of what is out there right now. You'll also save a bunch of dough in the process.

You could go all the way to an Aragon Stage One for very little additional. I presume there's a few left out there.

I got mine at Acoustic Sounds, and the price was "very" right when I bought it about 14 months ago. Aragon isn't on their website anymore, but you could call and ask.

1-800-716-3553

The Outlaw 990 is also a good choice. Basically, the same as the Sherwood but with balanced outputs and DVI switching for $1138 shipped. The downside (*compared to the P-965) is the cosmetics and remote.

BTW, I would not be jumping into a new processor right now. I'm still making do with my Outlaw 950. The BIG capability you're going to see in the next year or two is HDMI. Supposedly, DD and DTS will be different for HD-DVD and will be decoded in the player and sent in PCM-format to the pre-pro via HDMI. SACD and DVD-Audio are also allowing digital output over HDMI and IEEE-1394.

If you don't have a pre/pro, I'd look at something used....