Music compression and the loudness race.

Erukian

----------------

On 8/21/2005 11:26:15 AM coda wrote:

----------------

On 8/21/2005 3:48:06 AM Erukian wrote:

I think I get your point, but it seriously looks like your advertising for the company. =/

just saying -- a quote would of been nicer
:)

-Joe

----------------

Just an observation, if a few are addressing the media delivery issue, there is some hope that production issues may be next. Now if you want a serious ad, seek out my avatar!

----------------

Finally, an interesting and constructive post regarding the dasdardly conspiracy!!

Its nice to see someone actually addressing the issue instead of merely sitting on their proverbial posteriors b!tching and whining about the amorphous 'they' as the poor victims wait for the equally amorphous 'them' to solve the issue!

And when such a proposed solution is offered, the same erudite whiners complain about it as well! So you can't say the topic is devoid of humor!

What will indeed be curious to see is if all of those folks who are so 'outraged' at the state of music will get off their collective posteriors and indeed actively support such a service.

Isn't it indeed ironic that the response to such an actual proposed solution is so much less then the fervor of those merely content to whine about the issue!

The silence is deafening!

And if you don't like the post, either get off your @sses and support the service or call customer service at 1-800 bite me 9.gif9.gif9.gif

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 8/21/2005 8:00:13 AM scotbuck wrote:

Things such as "prat", "air", "imaging", etc. appear to be currently in favor These charecteristics appear, at least to my ears, to come at the expense of dynamics, speed, and heft, which are traits that I prefer. .................

a pair of PSB Stratus Gold speakers (with a whopping 88dB sensitivity) be removed from the mixing room.

The results were stunning. Bear in mind that I'm hearing music before anything -- compression or otherwise -- has been added. Yet, when compared with the KG-4's, the untreated music from the PSB's almost *sounded* as if a compressor were being used. Lifeless and squashed.

Take care,

Scott

----------------

interesting observation, scott

co-incedentlly, i just re-installed Altec 604's in my cousins studio

someone who had worked there, had brought in Vandersteens ...

the fancy crossover that they laud, was just choking the music ....

604's brought back the life in the mix .....1.gif

Sounds like Dave Mallete's idea from 2 or 3 years ago.

It seems to me that, as usual some are confusing data compression and dynamic range compression. Those that aren't sure what this means should do a little reading. I'm not thinking of anyone in particular, just a caveat. Thad & dragonfyr (lord, what a moniker-it's still tearing me up!) I'm sure have a background where they are not confusing the two. They are part of the same issue of audio quality, but are quite different, subjectively and objectively.

Dynamic range compression is actually quite useful and musical when used with discretion. I can't think of any qualitative benefit associated with data compression, though it is quite practical in many situations.

----------------

On 8/21/2005 9:28:58 PM Duke Spinner wrote:

... i just re-installed Altec 604's in my cousins studio...

----------------

Greetings,

Man, I bet those 604's sound absolutely k-k-killer! Are they in the Model 17 cabinets or the "utility" cabinets?

Take care,

Scott

----------------

On 8/21/2005 9:41:10 PM ben. wrote:

Where's the studio?

----------------

they have 2000 sq ft of actual performance area in Roch, production in NYC, with a ISDN line to LA,NYC

they do probably 50% commercials ..$$$$$$$

my nephew is always sukkin' up thier free time for his jazz recordings -- Daffodil Records ...

he's Production manager for "Blossom Dearie"

----------------

On 8/20/2005 3:18:27 AM edwinr wrote:

P.S. Hey buddy. How's the car hunting going?

----------------

Pulled the trigger this afternoon. SL_ex4wd_34FRONT.jpg

The thing is just cavernous inside considering what it is.

I never thought I would pay invoice on a Honda.

Okay. Got the details. Looks okay with 2,354 cc 2.4 liters in-line 4 front engine, double overhead cam, variable valve timing/camshaft and four valves per cylinder

-Unleaded fuel 87

-Fuel economy EPA highway (mpg): 26 and EPA city (mpg): 21

-15.9 gallon main unleaded fuel tank

-Power: 119 kW , 160 HP SAE @ 5,500 rpm; 161 ft lb , 218 Nm @ 4,500 rpm,

and;

it can take 2 x La Scalas!

Cool! 3.gif

I really like MP3 gain, I think it's a great (and totally free!) program for MP3 files.

http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/index.php

It can make all the songs the same average loudness by using an algorithm to detect the average loudness of a song to the human ear. You can also set it to "no clipping" so it will never raise it past the point that it will clip.

Please note: It does not flatten out the volume of a song! All the dynamic range is there, just adjusted so the average loudness of the songs are the same. You can also set it to "album" mode and it will keep the relative loudness of the songs the same, but adjust the whole album to have a certain average loudness. I think the song mode is way better.

And it's lossless! It does not lose any information, though it can only change the loudness in increments of 1.5dB. It is all very mathmatical why that is, you can read it on the website if you are a math geek.

I have mine set to convert MP3 files to an average of 90dB (default is 89dB)with no clipping, song mode. I think that is the best. Some songs are a little below 90dB average because of the no clipping setting, but they all sound about right and I don't have to keep reaching for the volume knob. And no clipping.

Another good option is Replaygain, that isnt MP3 specific. With replaygain you can apply it to every type of audio codec.

Foobar2000 does it, and I think there's a winamp plugin that does it. From what I've read, replaygain is also more efficient since it's more popular.

Best of luck in finding dynamic records. I found my dad's Pink Floyd - The Wall (unmastered CD version) about a week ago, the thing has SOOO much dynamic its creazy!

Dire Straits - Brothers in arms is surprisingly awesome at this too, I found a unmastered version and "the man too strong" abso-freaking-lutely blew my hair back with the slam of the guitars. (starting about 1:15-1:20) Crank it, even the mastered version should sound "woah, awesome" when cranked. :)

-Joe