Lyra SPT Stylus Cleaner

garymd

Worth the $50?

I got mine free with my TT but would buy it if I didn't. I've had mine for about a year and haven't even put a dent in the tube. I'd say you'd be hard-pressed to tell the difference from a new tube. I use it about once every 5 to 10 LPs (sometimes more, sometimes less) but probably should use it more often.

Tonight I played a song from a recently acquired MFSL copy of The Doors 1st album (one of the best MFSLs I've ever heard BTW) and was dissappointed to hear some unwelcome crackles and pops. I put a tiny drop of the cleaner on the tip of the supplied tapered brush, cleaned the stylus tip ONLY (per instructions and not easy to do), re-queued, and the song was almost dead quiet.

I used to use LAST Stylus Cleaner. OK but not in the same league as the Lyra. I was skeptical after seeing the price but unless the stuff goes bad or eventually evaporates, I'd say a lifetime supply for $50 isn't a bad deal.

Any thoughts on the shelf life of this stuff?

----------------

On 8/17/2005 2:23:39 PM Allan Songer wrote:

Just ordered some this morning. Was out of the Disc Doctor stuff and thought I'd give the Lyra a try.

----------------

Let me know what you think.

I've been meaning to ask you Allan where Kerrie found that stylus cleaning ball you use. I'd love to get one of those!