What do you think?

Smokem

I have been thinking about doing what you say, with the exception of adding an amplifier to the additional speakers by Y'ing the surround signal from my pre-amp. I have been meaning to get an opinion from the forum and to see if anyone has done that but haven't gotten around to it until now. I think that would be better than screwing around with parallel speaks.

I'm not saying it can't work, but to make sure that the amp can handle a paralleled 8 ohm load, that could yield 4 ohms the amp sees. At lower volumes you'd probably be O.K., but who can *keep* a low volume?

Sooner or later something or someone's gonna give.14.gif

----------------

On 8/18/2005 1:07:48 PM ironwoods wrote:

I'm not saying it can't work, but to make sure that the amp can handle a paralleled 8 ohm load, that could yield 4 ohms the amp sees. At lower volumes you'd probably be O.K., but who can *keep* a low volume?

Sooner or later something or someone's gonna give.
14.gif

----------------

so what's your opinion of an additional amp for those extra speaks?

what are you trying to accomplish by the addition of extra speakers? Seems to me you would get better results investing into the acoustics of your room or selling off all your speakers and purchasing 4 better quality ones.

----------------

On 8/18/2005 3:35:04 PM wstrickland1 wrote:

so what's your opinion of an additional amp for those extra speaks?

----------------

Depends on how you go about it.

Pre-outs to a low impedence amp, using A + B would work.

Some amps only have provisions for one pair of speakers, but as long as it is capable of 4 ohms or less, you can parallel another pair. This would be assuming both pairs are rated at 8 ohms.

Smokem; you CAN series wire your 2 pairs.

Don't you guys have any other furniture? 9.gif

"Oh Bobby, I'm sorry you got a head like a potatoe...I really am"- Frank Zappa> One Size Fits All> San Berdino

I was told that it is better to parallel wire speakers. I want to fill in the empty areas in the room. The problem is my wife does not want large speakers in the family room taking up floor space. I have 2 F-1's and 4 Quintets and a KSC center plus a sub. I have the opportunity to purchase a 5pc Quintet for a very good price. She is OK with the F-1's because they are next to the TV. The others are on the walls and the news ones will have to be on the walls as well. She really like the size and look of the Quintets.

The receiver puts out 100 watts @ 6 Ohms per channel.

----------------

On 8/18/2005 7:43:16 PM wstrickland1 wrote:

----------------

On 8/18/2005 6:30:47 PM BobbyT wrote:

parallel should give a 16 ohm load. series would give a 4 ohm load. What are you looking to gain by adding the extra speakers.

----------------

vice versa, actually

----------------

Man I always get those backwards. Thank God i've never wired anything backwards, just the terminology.

DrWho has it exactly right. That's why he's the DOCTOR!

You're looking at burning up an amp and blurring a highly refined 7.1 image with the addition of additional sound sources. $$ much better spent on better quality speakers or room treatment.

Michael

I'm still trying to figure why anyone would parallel wire any speakers, especially in surround mode? I can usually keep up with the experiments, but this one I see as a major problem maker. I leave you in the understanding and kind hands of Dr. Who. He is so kind and gentle......2.gif

----------------

On 8/19/2005 3:42:18 PM BobbyT wrote:

----------------

On 8/18/2005 7:43:16 PM wstrickland1 wrote:

----------------

On 8/18/2005 6:30:47 PM BobbyT wrote:

parallel should give a 16 ohm load. series would give a 4 ohm load. What are you looking to gain by adding the extra speakers.

----------------

vice versa, actually

----------------

Man I always get those backwards. Thank God i've never wired anything backwards, just the terminology.

----------------

lol

love your sig

Michael.....think about this. Now give it some thought because I've thrown it out there and no real opinions yet. My situation is similar. I am running the system as shown in my sig. I have a pair of RS 7s doing nothing. My room is 16 x 27. the 30s and C7 are across the short dimension all the way to the wall. My 20s are right to my side about 13 feet from the mains/center(ans 8' from each ear). My backs are all the way to the back wall. I was thinking about Y'ing my side surround output from the preamp into a 2-channel amp of similar quality and power and running the 7s halfway between my sides and back. This may not be ideal for multi channel music but when I listen to that i can simply turn off the 2 channel amp. There is some work involved doing it and I am basically lazy, so I haven't tried it yet, but what do you think? Do you see any pitfalls here that may damage something? Or, do you think it'll sound like crap. I want to try it only for movies.

----------------

On 8/19/2005 6:18:09 PM wstrickland1 wrote:

Michael.....think about this. Now give it some thought because I've thrown it out there and no real opinions yet. My situation is similar. I am running the system as shown in my sig. I have a pair of RS 7s doing nothing. My room is 16 x 27. the 30s and C7 are across the short dimension all the way to the wall. My 20s are right to my side about 13 feet from the mains/center(ans 8' from each ear). My backs are all the way to the back wall. I was thinking about Y'ing my side surround output from the preamp into a 2-channel amp of similar quality and power and running the 7s halfway between my sides and back. This may not be ideal for multi channel music but when I listen to that i can simply turn off the 2 channel amp. There is some work involved doing it and I am basically lazy, so I haven't tried it yet, but what do you think? Do you see any pitfalls here that may damage something? Or, do you think it'll sound like crap. I want to try it only for movies.

----------------

you could always purchase a new Denon AVR-5805 9.1 Receiver. . .

http://www.usa.denon.com/catalog/pdfs/AVR5805.pdf