Amplifier Design

6foot8

----------------

On 8/25/2005 2:49:49 AM djk wrote:

It's too much work for the end result.

VanAlstine has the right idea for a dead one. Gut it for the chassis and supply, then do a fresh design.

----------------

Agreed. The board layout of something new is the easy part since I do that for a living. Designing it is the hard part since I've never done any large hi-fi audio amplifier design. Everything I've done is digital and low level audio.

eBay will probably be the answer I end up going with. Or keep mine around in case I ever want an amp for a sub...

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My massive 70s vintage Pioneer M-22 solid-state dual mono map has amazing low .0005% THD at 22 watts, and I think it is only like 1% at the micro-watt level, but it is still the odd kind of distortion and sounds hard, wearing your ears after awhile 7.gif

IM, or TIM? Or some distortion more obscure that we don't measure? A lot of the older pro amps like the Crowns have pretty low IM levels even at low output, yet people say how harsh they sound.

Not to question them because they're mostly right, I'm just trying to understand why...

I don't sense any harshness in my 210 (newly acquired), 410 or 250E and they do sound better than the older 750b in the mid\highs. Still don't get why my NAD 218THX which I purchased new just doesn't seem to crank my tractor. Anyways I used to owna Dynaco ST70 that I also bought new and left unmodified paired up to a MAC C26 driving a set of '91 Khorns and although I did like the "warmth" mids\highs it just had no punch and always left me wanting for more bottom end. At that time I was not interested in a sub and I no longer have one today either. Seems like getting that to match and blend well is an arduous task. I don't spend much time listening to Chuck Mangione's "Chase The Clouds Away" anyway...although there are times when I really enjoy that sort of stuff...but clearly a vast minority of the time I spend enjoyng my system is spent on that sort of music. I have had other "pro" amps over the years and most did not sound as good as a moderatley priced home unit. However, having heard a few makes and models I have a different opinion of the BGW stuff.

NAD, to me, sounds slow, ponderous, wooly in the bass, bloated in the bass. Its sound with Khorns was awful. It was a 2200PE. Yuck.

The Power Envelope models were not very good. The later designs are far superior in sound quality. Anyone who has heard the 320BEE 50 watt integrated, has to be impressed. For only a couple of hundred bucks, this amp is a great starter. It sounds okay with horns, too.