More bass from Khorns pulled away from their corners!

Ki Choi

In my continuing madness, I added non-Klipsch speakers in my music room moving the Khorns to the back of the room with no good corners. The back wall is sloped in the middle so I couldn't push the Khorns to be flush with the surface. In addition, I have a door for at one side so one of the Khorns are not only away from the back wall but about 3' away from the side wall. I have set them about 8' apart.

I am getting more usable mid-bass ~50Hz region than when I had them sealed properly in good corners in the front of the room. In addition, I was able to aim the speakers at my listening position and now I get the ghostly imaging on top of the satifying bass.

It just goes to show you that room and speaker placement has 80% impact on good sound.

Ki

I have to agree with you that the specifics of the room may determine how the Klipschorns will sound. I currently have 1 Khorn in the Corner and 1 along a wall. I cannot believe how good they sound! And the one along the regular wall sounds as good as the one in corner.

But, I also agree with the above poster. Prepare to be lambasted!

Well allow me to start 2.gif

It is physically impossible to have more bass because the absence of the final flare for the horn destroys the hornloading effects of the bass bin.

However, what you percieve to be more bass is likely a room mode and it seems that you're sitting right in the middle of a 50Hz peak (which will sorta compensate for the lack of bass).

I would bet good money that if you built false corners for your khorns where they are currently located, that you would gain back loads and loads of bass that you weren't otherwise hearing before due to the acoutics in your room.

A false corner would be a good idea.

But there is no magic, this is simply physics.

Remember, at 50 Hz the wavelength is about 20 ft long, also at this low frequency there is very little break up of the wavefront via carpeting, drapes, etc. My guess is that you had some real dead zones before hand (or vice versa). Standing waves and the resultant constructive and destructive interference can be quite strong (and possibly exagerate what would otherwise be fairly little energy at the low frequencies)

good luck

-Tom