TV (for sale?)

DrWho

So...I've got a broken TV sitting here on the floor and I think it would be an easy fix, but I can't seem to figure out the problem. It was purchased new by my girlfriend's dad a few years ago and then one day while the local power company was working on the electrical lines there was a power surge. The TV made a flash and turned off. It worked for a little while later in the day after the power settled down, but now it is stuck in a standby mode (or at least the standby mode light flashes).

It's a big Sony Trinitron CRT...I wanna say around 42", but I'm not sure. How do I measure?

Anyways, if anyone can provide some guidance in fixing it or even wants to purchase it I'm located in Aurora, IL 60504. I'm willing to let it go for cheap, because it will otherwise end up in the trash. I think the problem lies within the board that powers the tube...at least it doesn't seem like the tube is damaged at all. I've scoured the thing for fuses and they all seem to be working (temporarily shorting the fuses doesn't make any difference either). I also cannot find cirucuitry that looks to have burned up or anything...it's as if this is a "software" thing that needs to be undone, but no searching online has indicated that this even happens.

I basically picked up the TV because I thought it would be a fun project and an easy way to get a big TV if I managed to get it working. I worked for a bit in Michigan building the TV's and scoring consoles used in brunswick bowling allies and so I figured the troubleshooting process would be similar (which is why I think there's something up with the board powering the tube). But alas I am off to college and my parents don't appreciate this huge thing sitting the middle of the floor and I gotta get it fixed quick or get rid of it.

Who -

Take a look here: http://www.agoraquest.com/

This link: http://www.agoraquest.com/viewforum.php?forum=34 gets you right into the Sony TV troubleshooting forum.

There is a lot of DIY repair information there for Sony TV's. I fixed my (completely) dead 32" Sony console set

about a year ago with info I found on that site. In my case all I had to do was re-solder some components on

the power supply PCB. The info on the site directed me right to them. The repair took about an hour.

You should be able to find a sticker on the back of your set that contains the model number of your set. Use

the model number and the word "standby" in your search on agoraquest. If that doesn't work, try the model

number and "power". If all else fails, just search the model number.

Good Luck !

The size of the TV is determined by measuring the tube diagonally.

You might want to try to increase the voltage to the CRT gun. Usually there is a pot on the circuit board at the rear of the CRT. Be carefull not to increase it very much.

I might be interested in your TV. I live in Carol Stream IL.

I usually just take mine to the TV repairman who lives down the street. Always seems to be the power buttons that go on my older TVs and he always has them in stock. More then coincidence?

Sadam's TV Repair, Ellicott City, MD (not kidding)

Sadam does a great job for a reasonable price. I'm sure there's someone just like him in your neighborhood. Better then the local landfill!

----------------

On 8/21/2005 7:18:51 PM Southern wrote:

The size of the TV is determined by measuring the tube diagonally.

You might want to try to increase the voltage to the CRT gun. Usually there is a pot on the circuit board at the rear of the CRT. Be carefull not to increase it very much.

I might be interested in your TV. I live in Carol Stream IL.

----------------

if you want it let me know...im down at college right now and my parents really want it gotten rid of. i haven't had time yet to even check out the repair site.15.gif

I'm thinking maybe $50 or so, I dunno...make an offer if you want it for less. I guess it really just depends on how hopeful the person is to get it working.

I'm still not sure about size...we have a 33" trinitron in our family room and this is definetly much bigger (and looking at the model number it would make sense if it was a 42), but who knows. If they never made anything larger than a 36, then it's prob a 36 2.gif

If you want, you can try to reach me on my cell (630-715-6788) or PM me for an email address if you wanna go that route (to avoid spam).

If it's a 36" or smaller (and weighs a ton) then it's a direct view CRT. If it's larger than 36" then its an RPTV (unless it's LCD or Plasma, etc.). But you would know if it was an LCD or Plasma, since it would only be a few inches thick.

The model number will allow one to view the owners manual with complete specifications on the Sony website . . .

----------------

On 8/23/2005 3:50:56 PM Olorin wrote:

Sony made a 40" Trinitron tube television -- the
. Sweet set.
might just be your owner's manual.

----------------

you beat me to the post, my brother-in-law has just that 40" model sony . . .

I'm tossing around the idea of getting one as well, or maybe a new sony kdf50 lcd rear projection :dunno

ok, here's the model #:

KV-35S42

(so maybe it's a 35" then)

After some more thinking, the TV in my family room might actually be a 27" or 33", I don't remember (I am extrememly bad with specific numbers if any of y'all haven't noticed already) 2.gif