Kung Fu Hustle

theryugobuddy

Fantastic movie. Spectacular effects, fight sequences, and characters. And its hilarious---

This is the best martial arts movie I've seen, mainly because its not just hitting and slapping. Its alot of face and body smashes, comedy routines, verbal abuse, comic book fantasy, and gangland drama. Alot of fists and kicks, but also axes, knives, guns, sticks, wrist rings, musical instruments, supernatural powers, etc, etc. This is like an over-the-top Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon with constant humor and blood and much more sleazy, salty characters. Very fast paced--

The music and sound effects are stellar--they use a western style orchestra with alot of Chinese instrumentation. Another thread mentioned great surround effects--

• 3 weeks later...

Man! after 40 views and zero responses, I thought maybe I was just in a fantastic mood when saw this movie and that it really did stink!

We invited some friends over for Labor Day and I mentioned Kung Fu Hustle to my cigar buddy, and he gave me a blank look with a hint of a rolling of the eyes. He likes Pulp Fiction, Matrix, Scorsese, action/adventure, etc, and he was up to watching it, and we were lucky enough to have lots of other parents to help with the kids.

He loved it. We saw elements of Raising Arizona, The Gangs of New York, Michael Jackson music videos, The Honeymooners, the Matrix series, Marvel comics, Jackie Chan movies, Pulp Fiction, and Enter the Dragon while watching--

Yes, its foreign. Yes, its got not one actor you've seen before. Yes, its got alot of martial arts. But-- its got an English dialogue track with English subtitles, the actors are damn good, and its much more than a kung fu movie.

Funny as heck and killer special effects--

Don't miss it!!

Yup, just like Shaolin Soccer, Kung-Fu Hustle is directed by, written by, and headlined by Stephen Chow, one of Hong Kong's biggest comedy stars.

He used to be in a bunch of gangster/gambling movies (God of Gamblers) with Chow Yun Fat, waaaay back in the day, before anyone in the U.S. had heard of Chow Yun Fat, who is now synonymous with such action flicks as The Replacements, The Corruptor, and of course, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.

A very talented man who looks far younger than his 40-something years of age, and a life-long practitioner of martial arts, many argue that this is Chow's genre-defying, career-defining work.

It's hilarious, gripping, thrilling, intense, gut-wrenching, and heartbreaking, all at the same time!

A note to those who haven't seen this film: you must, and I repeat MUST, watch this film in it's original language (Cantonese) with English subtitles. The nuance and tonal hilarity simply is not done justice when viewed over a language dub.