DFW Get Together 8/27

arthurs

Just thought I would invite some of the local guys on this board to an Audio Circle get together being held at my house this weekend to listen to some different gear. Starts around 1PM and will send directions to anyone interested. We'll have food and soda's, but anything past that you'll need to bring yourself. We're planning on having 2 rooms going with the following gear:

Amps:

- Cary CAD500MB

- Blue Circle NSCS integrated

- NuForce Ref 8/9

- Halcro

- JC-1

Sources:

- Cary 303/300

- MF A-5

- Resolution Opus 21

Speakers:

- Focus Audio FS688

- Dunlavy SC IVA

- Gallo Reference III

I know, no Klipsch, but no one offered to bring any.

Send me an e-mail if interested and I'll shoot you some directions.

Hmmmm...You know what, since i didn't make the Hornhead get together, I might just bring them (if I can convince the wife to help me haul those heavy buggers from my upstairs office to my truck...

I was listening to them last night, Dave Matthews Band, and it was something else, just makes me sit there with a big smile on my face (and they are positioned at a less then optimal 4 ft. from my head on each side...)

Jeff, you bring the Heresys, and I will bring the CWII's?, what do you think?

Bruce

Guys, want to be sure you are aware there is already a bunch of speakers and equipment lined up so we may not get to everything. We're planning a second jam very soon so you may want to wait and do the heavy lifting when you can be certain we'll get to play them and do them justice. FWIW.

Maybe that is a good idea...I really want to hear those Gallos mated with the Cary...and I wouldn;t want to shame those folks with some crappy old low end, BEC crossover, rebuilt, raw birch Corns ;)

Might make someone cry.

OK, then, lets hold off on bringing the guns to this one, eh Dog? We can stand back and be amazed at the **real** high end stuff...

K

Be cool K, these are some pretty good guys bringing a variety of gear, some of it shipped in at no one's expense attending. There's room for everyone's preferences and no one needs to feel shamed about anything they like, besides I think you'll find everyone holds the Heritage line in pretty high esteem.....just a bunch of gear to get through that day.

Besides....there's no crying in audio! See you guys there.

Just thought I would invite some of the local guys on this board to an Audio Circle get together being held at my house this weekend to listen to some different gear. Starts around 1PM and will send directions to anyone interested. We'll have food and soda's, but anything past that you'll need to bring yourself. We're planning on having 2 rooms going with the following gear:

Amps:

- Cary CAD500MB

- Blue Circle NSCS integrated

- NuForce Ref 8/9

- Halcro

- JC-1

Sources:

- Cary 303/300

- MF A-5

- Resolution Opus 21

Speakers:

- Focus Audio FS688

- Dunlavy SC IVA

- Gallo Reference III

I know, no Klipsch, but no one offered to bring any.

Send me an e-mail if interested and I'll shoot you some directions.

WOW is all I can say. No Klipsch but still an impressive range of equipment! The Dodd stuff was awesome. There were numerous smaller speaker that were awesome for their size but of course it is unfair to compare those to a Cornwall system. I came back from the meet and listened to much of the same material on my system and I have to say that in my opinion only the Dunlavy's/Dodd combo came close to beating it (and yes of course I am biased). Those Dunlavy's were sweet for sure but I still like the Cornwall/horn sound

I guess I am just a horn sound type of guy. It is hard to describe but it is like the difference between a BMW/Benz/Lexus and a 60's or 70's muscle car with a built V8. They both go fast and get you from point A to point B but one is much more fun and in your face then the other. So don't get me wrong the Dunlavy's were AWESOME but I like the horns.

I was very surprised at the cost of some of the equipment too. I mean I think I have a decent sounding system but with guys into $5200 pre-amps, $2600 amps, $500 interconnects, $200 power cords I would be embarrassed to host an event at my house (plain jane interconnects and zip cord speaker wire) even though it could be fun. I think I have at least 90% (or better) of the sound for just pennies on the dollar.

Art thanks again for hosting the event and please keep us informed of the next one. I have an AudioCircle account but I hardly go over there. I will have to check more often. It was a great time!

Laters,

Jeff

Art sure knows how to host an audio event! Not one Klipsch speaker in the house and I still stayed for over two hours! At one point I think there were at least 18 people there. These were some very serious guys with some very serious equipment, some commercially available, and some home built.

It was cool to meet Gary Dodd and hear his amps and preamp. They looked and sounded great, especially on Art's Dunvavys. Those 6 ft tall monsters may be the best direct radiators that I have ever heard.

And speaking of amplification, the 500 wpc Cary amps were really smooth, and gave the Dodd Audio tubes a run for the money, but IMO the tubes edged out the SS.

I was really impressed with the Halcro digital amp. The one that was brought to the event was a 5.1 unit, but we listened only in 2-channel (at least while I was there). Based on what I heard, that would make a killer HT amp.

Another interesting guy there was Danny Richie of GR Research. He had brought a pair tower type speakers that he designed. These were very detailed sounding with nice imaging and depth, but I still prefer the more forward sound of horns (IMO of course).

I really enjoyed hearing the tube/SS/digital amp comparisons with very good quality equipment representing each category. All sounded very good, albeit somewhat different.

It was also great to see Jeff (Eq_Shadimar) again, and to meet Bruce (Kriton).

I had to leave earlier than I really wanted, but I really enjoyed the event and the opportunity to hear some quality speakers of the non-horn type. BTW, no need to worry, I'm not gonna run out and sell my K-Horns or my Cornwall/Heresy HT. I'm still very happy with the Klipsch Heritage sound.

-David-

Hey Art,

The get together was a blast, I think the Dunlavy's were

definitely the star of the show. Those Cary's are sweet,

beautiful minimalist blocks...I have to say though that I have already

been over to Dodd's site, looking for a pair of those amps. I

have wanted to jump into tubes (having no previous experience with them

at all), and I think those set the threshold for me, and I will have to

compare everything I hear from now on to those amps.

I enjoyed meeting all of the guys, putting a face on Seadog and

Shadimar, and the jazzheads in room two were a hoot, I have a feeling

that we could end up drinking way to much and playing that Dizzy disc

at much too loud volumes, ears bleeding, whiskey flowing...we will need

find a suitable setting for that, NOT your living room.

I too wne thome and spent about three hours listening to my horns

again, and I will keep my Corns and RF's for now, but I ahve to say

that I think I have the itch to make one of those Raw Acoustic tower

driver array kits...as Gary said, for the the price they had some great

sound, would be an awesome project.

Thanks again for the invite, and please lets us know here where the

next speaker event (3 weeks from now ?), I would love to come if I

may. Oh, and if any of the guys need some cash kicked in for

shipping those speakers and components back, please let me know, I

would be more than willing to kick in.

Thanks again,

Bruce

It was great you guys could make it, and I was glad to meet some forum members after lurking around here so long. It was a fun day, and there is a lot of equipment out there that sounds good, and some that doesn't sound as good as others, to my ears. I keep coming back to the conclusion that if what you have makes you happy, be happy, regardless of cost, make, age, or product style/functionality. I've found I start getting less than that if I listen too much to what other people hear or think, or don't as the case may be.

Thanks again for coming guys, good times.

Art sure knows how to host an audio event! Not one Klipsch speaker in the house and I still stayed for over two hours! I one point I think there were at least 18 people there. These were some very serious guys with some very serious equipment, some commercially available, and some home built.

It was cool to meet Gary Dodd and hear his amps and preamp. They looked and sounded great, especially on Art's Dunvavys. Those 6 ft tall monsters may be the best direct radiators that I have ever heard.

And speaking of amplification, the 500 wpc Cary amps were really smooth, and gave the Dodd Audio tubes a run for the money, but IMO the tubes edged out the SS.

I was really impressed with the Halcro digital amp. The one that was brought to the event was a 5.1 unit, but we listened only in 2-channel (at least while I was there). Based on what I heard, that would make a killer HT amp.

Another interesting guy there was Danny Richie of GR Research. He had brought a pair tower type speakers that he designed. These were very detailed sounding with nice imaging and depth, but I still prefer the more forward sound of horns (IMO of course).

I really enjoyed hearing the tube/SS/digital amp comparisons with very good quality equipment representing each category. All sounded very good, albeit somewhat different.

It was also great to see Jeff (Eq_Shadimar) again, and to meet Bruce (Kriton).

I had to leave earlier than I really wanted, but I really enjoyed the event and the opportunity to hear some quality speakers of the non-horn type. BTW, no need to worry, I'm not gonna run out and sell my K-Horns or my Cornwall/Heresy HT. I'm still very happy with the Klipsch Heritage sound.

DITTO to everything above. I can't believe that I forgot to mention Danny Richie and Gary Dodd DOH..they are some smart guys. I too enjoyed meeting Kriton, Art and the others there. I certainly could have stayed much longer if I didn't have to get back up to Plano. It was very relaxing and I enjoyed the event!

Did I mention that I got to play some Black Label Society (Awesome Metal band) using the Dodd tube amps and the Dunlavy's [:D] That rocked!

Laters,

Jeff