Opinion on RF 7 setup

RM1111

Hello all, Just scored a used pair of RF 7's off of ebay. I am planning to get a RC7 in the future. I was thinking about moving my RP5's to surround, what do you guys think? Will the RP5's work with the RF7 up front. Or should I get a pair of RB or RS 7 speakers instead of using the RP5's. My second question is, what is a good sub that will match my system under $1000 if I use the RP5's as surround. Was looking at the RSW 10 or 12, SVS PB 12 plus or ultra, or the Hsu VTF 3 MK 2. Its 50/50 for music and HT. Thanks for taking a look.

Ray

I would think that the RP5's would make excellent rears! I would finish up the system with an RSW-15 so you are running all Reference! Having some bass coming from those rear RP5's is going to add to the realism if you hook the subwoofers up as well.

I agree that the RP-5s will make excellent surrounds if you have the room. Multi-channel music will be excellent with such a setup IMO.

The RC-7 is the way to go for a center, but they weigh 42 pounds. You may need a stand or wall mount for it.

As far as subwoofers go, both the RSW series and the THX Ultra2 subs are excellent.

Bill

----------------

On 8/23/2005 8:35:15 PM kohill wrote:

The RP-5's have built in subs right? Is there no way to run the sub signal to just the sub portion of the RP-5?

----------------

Yes, you are right Kohill about the built in subs and I can hook up a separate sub signal to each tower after looking at the manual. I guess I have to test it out and see if I need another sub. I have to wait for my RF 7 to come in first. Wondering if anybody else has every tried this setup? This might be a newbi question, Klipsch recommends that the subs be up front or does it matter. Or I can add another sub to the mix. LOL

Yes, the RP-5 has a seperate line-in for the subwoofer...and I too would recommend hooking those subs up and using the top portion for the surrounds. You might want to get the tweeters a bit higher up in the air, so you might consider putting the speakers up on stands or something. You'll have to be creative in determining what works aesthetically in your situation (I might go so far as to pull out the mid and tweeter and build a seperate enclosure to house them.

Though in the long run, you'll probably get better performance if you upgraded to the RB-75's (I'm not a fan of the RS series). You can still keep the subwoofer section of your RP5's...perhaps even build a new enclosure in the future. +-3dB down to 25Hz certainly isn't that shabby (what is that, about 115dB max output?)

If you were gonna go with another sub, then I would also suggest going the RSW-15 route.

I kinda wonder about having most of the LF info coming from behind you, but then Picky's small HT has the RSW15 in a rear corner. I'm thinking that it might be spatially a bit bizarre having explosions and stuff not coming from the wall the screen is on. But then I'm a firm believer in having full range LARGE speakers all around. What the heck try it and if works you've saved buying a sub for now. Why not?

Michael

----------------

On 8/23/2005 9:47:41 PM RM1111 wrote:

Yes, you are right Kohill about the built in subs and I can hook up a separate sub signal to each tower after looking at the manual. I guess I have to test it out and see if I need another sub. I have to wait for my RF 7 to come in first. Wondering if anybody else has every tried this setup? This might be a newbi question, Klipsch recommends that the subs be up front or does it matter. Or I can add another sub to the mix. LOL

----------------

It's been my experience that subs in the front sound better because they simply blend in better. A few reasons that come to mind...bass is not just a hearing, but also a feeling experience. It moves your body and you're expecting it to come from the front. Subs in the front tend to experience similar room effects as your mains which makes the crossover transition smoother. When not located near each other, you start to notice where the subwoofer is because it "bounces around" differently. No matter what sub you get, there are going to be distortion artifacts...some in the higher frequencies which also contribute to the localizeability of the subwoofer.

I currently have 3 subs in the mix right now and I tried all sorts of arrangements and landed on having two in the front and then one in the rear directly behind me. This way minimized the modal aspects of the room yielding the flattest response of all the variations I tried. However, things will be different in every room. But two subs in the back will probably sound good at first, but after a while you might start getting annoyed with it...in which case another sub up front might do the trick.

----------------

On 8/23/2005 1:30:28 PM RM1111 wrote:

Hello all, Just scored a used pair of RF 7's off of ebay. I am planning to get a RC7 in the future. I was thinking about moving my RP5's to surround, what do you guys think? Will the RP5's work with the RF7 up front. Or should I get a pair of RB or RS 7 speakers instead of using the RP5's. My second question is, what is a good sub that will match my system under $1000 if I use the RP5's as surround. Was looking at the RSW 10 or 12, SVS PB 12 plus or ultra, or the Hsu VTF 3 MK 2. Its 50/50 for music and HT. Thanks for taking a look.

Ray

----------------

Thank you all for the info.

Ray

Can't say I've heard the RP5's, but they should go well with a setup. And an all reference setup with all floorstanders can sound great.

As mentioned earlier, RB-75's would go well, but for the money I would get a set of RF-5s. I've heard both in the same room and liked the sound from the RF-5s better. I have a pair I'm using as rears and they go very well with the RF-7s.

Also, definately get the RC-7. It's one monster of a center. A wallmount TV stand works well for this, as would a wall shelf.