Teac Tripath... 15 minutes in Audio Hell

codhead

trying to start the first new forum set debate.

who's signature says something about contridicting everything he says, well thats me.

I am just to inexperienced, it all started with a lack of low end and believe it or not the

Teac was better than my yamaha, now have a audio dynamics b-200 and the difference was

staggering.

BTW Duke I found this site this weekend http://web1.nugs.net/default.asp

has alot of dead shows but some Mule and others

That would be me.....and it is a motto I live by!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Add to that the clear sticker price disparity...and that almost assures wider divergence (see codheads post above and the assumption of correlation between price and subjective perception)."

Most of the Teac mods seem to focus on 1) better quality components, and 2) cleaner DC power. This leads me to believe that in building the Teac to a price point, sonic compromises have most certainly been made. If there was no room for improvement, I doubt the mod market would find many takers. The Tripath White Paper backs this up, speaking to how manufacturers can further cut production costs by using even lesser grade components with their design.

Upon close examination, you will find that many of the higher-end amps are built with premium quality components, and very well designed power supplies. Out of the box, they come close to providing the best sound that their design allows. And no, quality parts in and of themselves will not overcome a poorly designed circuit - so some degree of engineering competence is also required.

To assuage your feelings regarding my ability to correlate price and perception, I currently have an amp sitting in my bedroom closet - replaced by a slightly modded ST-70 retailing at one sixth the cost. Perhaps the fact that I choose Klipsch speakers might also tell you something.

If the time comes when technology advances to the point where very inexpensive components can perform at (or reasonably near) the same level as very good ones, I'll be the first to embrace it.

Colin,

I hope you will post further impressions of the SI/RWA amp eventually.

I tend to knock the Tripath stuff--because of silly things like learning circuitsbut mainly to point toward the, IMHO better, recent, Class D stuff.

OTOH.I love the SI sound (in my stock example, better than the stock TEAC) and could be tempted to have it brought up to spec if not for the battery thing.

That puzzles me.

Maybe this guy: http://www.michael.mardis.com/sonic/maunakea.htm

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Codhead,

Umm. Not sure if you were disagreeing with me? You seemed to restate my remarks about the replacement of the compromised OEM partsbut with maybe more.emphasis.

Anyway. So yes, once bits are replaced and brought up to spec. (which is what I assume the RWA/Bolder guys are doingbut I dont know for sure) the Tripath chip will perform quite well. And will sonically have no problem walking with Wytech, or (in my failed humor: WAVAC). The new (or even old, like Tripath) cheap technology will present subjectively competitive products to anything in high-endand usually beat them at objective measurement, like accurate replication of source signal.

Mark

[ok, so why did it space out my 'Colin' remarks like that?]

TEAC is the commodity line from this manufacturer.

TASCAM is the industrail line. it would be interesting if TASCAM had a TRIPATH amp.

I

have forum member LEOK design implmentation of the

TRIPATH and it is nice as a back up. It is nowhere near the

soundstage and realism of tubes though.

If Tascam is their best, they're already in trouble. Tascam's semi-pro

multitrack packages have been littering the music field for years now,

from cassette to crude digital to even the sophisticated digital

systems they now sell, they manage to sound like crapola with their

finished product every stinkin' time.

Tascam has never made amplifiers, so referring to them as the company's

industrial line is a useless statement. All it tells me is that the

Teac amplifiers are the only ones they make, and that they really have

no clue how to make a proper amplifier.

http://www.tascamcontractor.com/products/PA-30.html

They don't give enough info on their website, but this could be a Tripath amp. 30 wpc.

Bruce

Whether tripath or not, that's not a professional PA amplifier. It has

spring-clips in the back. The only other "professional" PA amps I've

seen with wire connections on the back have been the lowly Pyramids,

and even they use dual banana plugs...

So far I have listened to the Red Wine Clari T digital amplifier only casually; no serious swap-out sessions yet with amplifiers and loudspeakers, but I am very impressed. Hard to say how much better it is than the $35 Sonic Impact 5066 integrated class-T digital amplifier, as I have not compared them back-to-back yet. But I am listening to a $5K Delta Studio 6s33s amplifier, which has glorious mid-range, on big ole horns and cones; and the Clari T does many things better for 1/10 of the price! [:D]