Teac Tripath... 15 minutes in Audio Hell

codhead

Curiosity got the best of me, so I ordered a Teac Tripath amp from Needle Doctor.

I unhooked my Topaz, plugged in the Tripath, and... (insert expletive).

Maybe $400 worth of mods will give one of these a fighting chance (I'm not going to find out), but out of the box it's just plain nasty. Not much bottom end, and more grain than a Kansas wheat field.

I think this is the first component I've ever owned that lasted less than 15 minutes in my system.

Anyone wish to take this abortion off my hands for $60 via PayPal (half of what I paid)? I'll throw in insured Parcel Post shipping, and the original receipt. It spent less than 30 minutes out of the box, and is like new in every way.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Codhead -- aren't you the guy that referred to the Sonic Impact as "Plastic Fantastic"? I own both and I can't hear squat difference between them at normal levels. Did you at least check polarity on your cables before you yanked it?

You're gonna dig it shawn. Mine's going to Redwine as soon as I scrape together the money.

trying to start the first new forum set debate.

who's signature says something about contridicting everything he says, well thats me.

I am just to inexperienced, it all started with a lack of low end and believe it or not the

Teac was better than my yamaha, now have a audio dynamics b-200 and the difference was

staggering.

BTW Duke I found this site this weekend http://web1.nugs.net/default.asp

has alot of dead shows but some Mule and others

Codhead -- aren't you the guy that referred to the

Sonic Impact as "Plastic Fantastic"? I own both and I can't hear squat

difference between them at normal levels.

The TEAC is no better than the Sonic Impact? That is indeed scary to think about.

Dean,

Nope, not me. This was my first Tripath attempt.

In all fairness, the graininess may be the power supply. My scope bit the dust, and my new Tektronix won't be arriving until tomorrow - or I would have checked.

I tried the polarity switch on my Theta DAC, and it did not seem to make any difference (good thinking!).

Hmmm. Strange. Grain kills me, if it were there I'd know it. The stupid thing sounds pretty clean to me.

Paul -- The SI can't be "turned up" without falling apart, and this is where the Teac does much better (30 watts). It's a good sounding amp and fun to have around. We briefly heard Mark Maple's modded unit in Indy, and I thought that sounded damn good.