Wiring question

CheeseHead

I have my Klipsch RF3's all plugged into my Denon3801, and everything is cool, until it comes time to deal with the cable box. I ran a cable from the Digital Out on the Cable box to my TV/DBS Digital in on the receiver, and all is great, but I only get sound from those channels that broadcast digitally. My question is, how can I get the non-digital stations to come thru the receiver? I just added some cables from the back of the cable box for an analog signal and ran those to the analog in's of the receiver, but it's not recognizing them! When I flip to a non-digital channel, the receiver goes from digital to analong, but it's not searching for the analog inputs? Any help would be appreciated, the Packer game is on tonight! Smile.gif

CheeseHead

Denon 3801

Klipsch RF3 (fronts)

Klipsch RC3 (center)

Klipsch RS3 (rears)

Klipsch SW12 (sub)

Toshiba SD-2200 DVD

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 Cable Box

Cheesehead

Just a friendly word of advice. With your cable hooked up to your reciever like that you are risking a power surge. I've had my HT for about a year and a half. Last month I got a Monster HTS 2000 and less than 1 week later got a lightning strike across the street in a field that shut down the whole system.

Best $150.00 dollars I have spent. Don't know if it would have fried without it, but I do know that I don't worry about it!

Cheesehead.....

Here is how you are going to have to hook it up-

Run the Digital Coax cable from the cable box to your 3801 and assign that digital coax input to the TV/DBS mode. Then run a pair of analog interconnects from the cable box to your 3801 in the VCR1 port.

When you assign the digital coax input to the TV/DBS mode....that is all it is going to recognize. So you have to run the analog interconnects to another mode.....VCR1 or VCR2 or whatever works for you. Then when you are watching a non digital channel you just put it on VCR1, and when you are watching a digital channel you put it on TV/DBS.

Good Luck

------------------

Klipsch Quartets - fronts

Klipsch Academy - center

Klipsch KG 1.5's - rear surrounds

Klipsch KG .5's - rear side surrounds

Klipsch KSW12 subwoofer

Denon AVR-4800

Denon POA-5200 THX Amp (fronts)

Sony C-67ES CD Player

JVC 36D201 36" TV

JVC HR-S3600 SVHS Player

JVC XV-M565BK DVD Player

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 Digital Cable box

Playstation 2

Monster Power HTS-2000

Monster Cable M-series Speaker Cable and subwoofer cable

Monster Component, S-Video, and Optical cables

RS HT Gold Interconnects

Will I need to run the video portion also? Or just the sound? I connected just the white and red audio cables to VCR2, and put the receiver on VCR2, and still didn't get sound. Then when I put my TV into the 'Video 1' mode so I could check the on-screen settings of my receiver, I swore I heard noise from the speakers, although there was no picture. I didn't have time to check into it, the game was back on and my buddies were bitchin'. So I'm thinking if I run both audio and the video from the cable box to the VCR2 of the receiver, and then put the TV on Video 1 I could solve it?

cheese, does your tv have variable audio outputs?

u could run the cable box to the tv & those to the receiver. just another option but that way your tv has sound with the receiver off & the tv volume controls the overall volume from the receiver.

the 4800 doesn't allow to switch to analog or digital on the same input? looks like the new 4802 has digital/analog auto-detect on any single input. w/ my present marantz i have to switch a/d on the remote. looks like another reason for me to get the 4802. cwm35.gif

This message has been edited by boa12 on 09-24-2001 at 10:48 PM

No, you don't need to run the video thru your receiver at all. If you run the red/white(analog) cables from the cable box to the VCR2 inputs of the receiver you should get sound when you put the receiver to VCR2. Now you might have to go into the setup menu and make sure there is no digital port assigned to the VCR2 function. When you put the receiver to VCR2, hit the input button on the receiver to make sure it says analog.

Also.....check the setup menu of the cable box to make sure you are sending out a fixed audio signal. That way you know that you are sending a signal to the receiver at a constant level.

If none of this works......then I am at a loss of words.

Good Luck

Of course Keith, I've read the manual. What I have isn't a digital issue, it's analog. Everything digital works just dandy.

Myram, do you have yours setup similar to mine? With a digital audio cable coming out of the cable box into the receiver, and then a pair of analog plugs from the cable box to a different port on the receiver? I still can't get it to work, even when I disconnect the digital audio portion, thinking the cable box won't send out an analog and digital at the same time, it's still dead. The only settings I saw for the cable box is what type of digital audio (DD or other) and then what type (normal,wide,narrow). Other than that, I don't think you can actually tell the cable box where to send the audio from?

~Disgruntled CheeseHead (Think how mad I'd be if the Packers got blown out and Dennis Miller was making fun of us instead of the Skins!)