lomc cartridge question

joessportster

i am looking at upgrading my cart. and am currently using a grado sonata referance, it is my understanding that a lomc will greatly enhance my overall performance and sound, my table is a basis 1400 with a rb 300 arm upgraded with incognito wires i enjoy the sound immensely but as we all know if it can get better im all for that i will be getting an extreme blueberry with lomc sometime near the end of the month(thanks mark) so question is i need opinions on a good match that will improve my sound and i would like to stay below 1000.00 cart can be used in good shape also my music taste stay in the classic rock genre thanks Joe

i am looking at upgrading my cart. and am currently using a grado sonata referance, it is my understanding that a lomc will greatly enhance my overall performance and sound, my table is a basis 1400 with a rb 300 arm upgraded with incognito wires i enjoy the sound immensely but as we all know if it can get better im all for that i will be getting an extreme blueberry with lomc sometime near the end of the month(thanks mark) so question is i need opinions on a good match that will improve my sound and i would like to stay below 1000.00 cart can be used in good shape also my music taste stay in the classic rock genre thanks Joe

I don't know that a lomc is going to "greatly enhance" your overall performance and sound. The Sonata is pretty good cartridge. You might get a different sound and performance out of a <$1000 lomc but it might not be better sound.

The little I've dabbled with two inexpensive(it's all relative) lomc's on my Blueberry, Women's vocals might have sounded better. I didn't notice much else. Wasn't enough difference to make me change from my High Output Moving Coil Dynavector I've been using. Maybe if I listened to more jazz or classical I would feel differently. I want to try one of the Shelters sometime in the future. I'm afraid to listen to any of the $2K plus cartridges for fear that I might like it[:)]

i appreciate the wisdom, i will admit it is hard for me to pick up subtle differances in sound my ears want to hear the overall not just this or that which may sound a little better, however i do want to acheieve the best sound possiable within reason and affordability, that is why i put the spending limit on here and i am also not opposed to used cartridges so long as they are in good shape i always see high dollar carts around the 1200 range like the benz ruby, etc... these are actually the carts i am wandering about. too bad we cant find someone willing to let us try before we buy on these type items LOL Joe

i see high dollar carts around the 1200 range like the benz ruby, etc... these are actually the carts i am wandering about. too bad we cant find someone willing to let us try before we buy on these type items LOL Joe

While too bad, it's understandable that dealers don't have a good sampling on display, given very low sales volume as a rule, and the likelihood that a customer will screw up a kilobuck or two of cart when sales people aren't looking.

In my experience, MC's have more clarity than moving magnet, especially LOMCs like Gary's. In the $1,200 range, you should put the Transfiguration Spirit on your list, although you probably won't get a chance to hear one first. I'm told it's not that far from the Temper that Gary and I have.