TheEars how do you connect all those subs??

Manuel Delaflor

I believe I saw somewhere on this forum a post where you explain how to connect a sub to an amplifier which doesn't have sub outs, perhaps Im making a mistake here and it wasn't you.

Anyway, it would be interesting for me to know how can you connect all those subs! But of course my main question is about connecting a sub to an amplifier without sub out using the RCA cable. Or did I dream this?? Oh god, I must be really tired! lol

This message has been edited by Manuel on 09-25-2001 at 09:58 PM

Good you ask

I have two sound systems,one is a mostly HT system.The heart right now is the Denon 5800 reciever,used as pre/pro. The sub out from the reciever is split into five(simple quality Y's used).The signal is then split again and each sub is fed the signal.Sound bad but its not as bad as it sounds...on paper(uh e-paper).

The subs I use for HT are...

Aerial Acoustics SW12,Revel B15,Sunfire Signature,Sunfire Mark II and Sunfire Junior.

Again this may sound phony at first glance but with the care I took to set them up along the front wall and the phase and crossover tweaking it gives me awesome bass.

The reciever is set to full for the fronts(Contour 3.3's),full for the center(Contour..Center) and small for the sourrounds(Contour 1.1's).The sub out is cut at 80hz...all the Sunfires are cut(on the subs)at 40Hz,well the Junior is cut at 60Hz.The Aerial is cut at 80Hz(nice impact and very musical)and the Revel is cut at 50Hz!

Wacko setup but it works like a charm,and after the level settings on each sub were adjusted to create an even bass,to eliminate bass bumps.

As I said the big Denon amp is doing NOTHING,all amps used to drive the speakers are better quality power amps.I use the Celeste Moon W5 to drive the 3.3's,4150 on the sourrounds and a 4250 on the center(only one channel used).I may add my second pair of Contour 1.1's as second sourround on my Celeste 4070.

I changed the configuration many times this year,I switch amps and speakers.Just for fun.I guess not many would find moving heavy amps around.I dont mind.

So this is it,my setup now sounds quite good.Not like my two channel system but damn good by any standard.

Now I experiment with bi-amping Klipsch R series using the ATI1505 for the upper range and the 2505 for the lower range.So far its A ok.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

TheEAR,

I tried using an Monster Cable RCA Adapter to split my signal at the receiver end to go to amp for SVS 20-39cs & KSW 12 sub. Nice clean connection, but I got a slight sub hum, not audible during playing. Presently, I've reconnected KSW to receiver mains until I could find an alternative. Your method my work solve my little dilemma! I'm assuming it's not a grounding problem?

I would like to know what type interconnects (sub or Audio) do you use to route signal from "Y" ends to your subwoofer inputs? Any other suggestions/comments would also be appreciated.

Wes

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 09-27-2001 at 05:57 AM

TheEAR,

Thanks for the reply. Think I have some Y splitters in my goodie boxes, will sort thru to find. I'm using TMC Yellows from my receiver to sub amp & Outlaw. I'll try connecting KSW 12 to one of the "Y" connectors with my IXOS Sub cable, then connect the TMC cable to other "Y" & sub amp. Looks like more cables to add to the rear snake pit cwm1.gif

Wes

It occurs to me that there are two logically identical but physically different ways to connect the subs.

ASCII art doesn't tend to survive the posting process, but let's give this a shot... ignore the periods, only way I can figure out to prevent this thing from compressing multiple white spaces when uploading...

You could to this:

Sub Sub Sub Sub Sub

./.../.../.../.../

..\./.....\ /..../

.../......./...../

....\...../....../

.....\.../......./

......\./......../

......./........./

........\......./

.........\...../

..........\.../

...........\./

............/

Receiver----/

or you could do this:

.T--------T---T---T---T---/

./......../.../.../.../.../

Receiver Sub Sub Sub Sub Sub

f>

Seems to me the second option, connecting one branch of each "T" to one sub and then stringing the other arm of the "T" on down the line, would provide better grounding and less change of humm than connecting all the "T"s together then running the resulting five interconnects to the five subs.

That make sense? Hope you can see what I was trying to draw...

Any observations?

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Sorry to post this late but the day at work was long.

And Mr TV had to get my answer,go read the KSW-15 VS RSW-15 and you'll see.Its so funny,damn I like this!

Yes the "T" came to mind,but I had the "Y" conectors so I said why not.The M550 is a very good quality interconect,and shielding is top notch.I have no buzz.

Yes Ray it makes sense(why would it NOT work?!).

A Krell is inferior to products costing 20% of the price!WOW I never noticed...LOL

cwm27.gif

TheEAR(s) Now theears