Vinyl...thinking about going back...

mcp

Too bad that your pic didn't post, I'd like to see it. Those old Duals were great examples of German over-engineering and chunky styling (I think it had a ten or twelve pound platter). To set your tracking force as I recall, you need to adjust the counterweight first with the tracking force set to zero and the cartridge in place. Set the cue to the tonearm-down position, then adjust the counterweight by rotating it either direction (I think it clicks as you do this) so that the tonearm just floats (not resting on the lower stop or up against the upper limit). That should be zero force. If you can't get the tonearm to float that way you may need to slide the counterweight in or out a bit (I think there was a set scew near the back of the tonearm to loosen for that) and then fine adjust again by rotating the counter weight. After it is zeroed (just floating), adjust the tracking force (I think there was dial near the tonearm gimbal) to around 1 or 1.5 grams. That should be a good place to start, depending on how solid your set up is you may need to increase the mass. Off the top of my head, I don't recall the the anti-skating adjustment procedure but I'll let you know if anything comes to me. Good luck and enjoy.

Been listening to records all morning and loving it. Several things are apparent to me already. The sound seems more detached from the speakers with vinyl. Soundstage depth is fantastic. Bass actually sounds like bass! Again, in comparison to CD remaster versions, most of my 70's vinyl has far more slam and smoother highs. I find myself listening to music at higher volumes with no fatigue. This has been an amazing start to the day...

It's a shame you're experiencing problems with your Dual; I've heard they're pretty decent 'tables. Don't know if it would be worth repairing or not (maybe if you like that model so much you can find a decent one like it on eBay or AudiogoN).

EDIT: I missed your post about gluing down the strobe pattern. Glad it solved your problem (would love to see a pic of it)!

Or like others have already stated, buy a new or used Music Hall, Pro-Ject, or Rega within your $500 budget. Since you already have a classic harman/kardon receiver with a decent phono stage, I've heard that harman/kardon also made great inexpensive turntables in their day (back in the early to mid '80s). One model I've heard great things about is the top-flight belt drive harman/kardon T60 (wouldn't mind owning one myself...if it wasn't for my dad's mint '79 Technics SL-1700MK2 I'm using now, I'd look for a T60). Bet this 'table would sound excellent through your H/K730, mated with a top-flight Shure, audio-technica, or Grado MM cartridge (or even a MC if you're willing to spend the money).

I'm buying college rock and punk from pre 1985.

I'm looking for... ... lot's of indies.

Anyone looking to buy any (or all) of these records?

13th Floor Elevators - Bull of the Woods

13th Floor Elevators - Easter Everywhere

13th Floor Elevators - Live

13th Floor Elevators - The Psychodelic Sounds of...

Best of the Kingston Trio - Volume III

Bonzo Dog Band - Tadpoles

Brewer and Shipley - Weeds

Bubble Puppy - A Gathering of Promises

Ca Plane Pour Moi - Plastic Bertrand

Chiswick Chartbusters Volume 12 - Longshots, Dead Certs, and Favorites

Chiswick Chartbusters Volume I - Fool's Gold

Don Sanders - Extended Play

Geet Voor - New Wave

Glory - A Meat Music Sampler

Guillotine - 10 inch Record

Hope and Anchor Front Row Festival double album

Live at Double Album

Lost and Found - Everybody's Here

Martha and the Muffins - Metro Music

Metal Urban - (untitled)

Pebbles Volume 1 - Punk Classics of the 60's

Pierre Ubu - Dub Housing

Pierre Ubu - The Modern Dance

Radio Birdmen - Radios Appear

Ramases - Glass Top Coffin

Riot On Sunset Strip - Soundtrack

Shakin Street - Vampire Rock

Sham 69 - Tell Us the Truth

Stinky Toys - (untitled)

Streets - British Indy Label Highlights

Suicide - (untitled)

The Boys - (untitled)

The Incredible String Band - The 5000 Spirits or the Layers of the Onion

The Leaves - All The Good That's Happening

The Pentange - Reflection

The Pentange - Untiled (first album)

The Pentangle - Basket of Light

The Pentangle - Cruel Sister

The Pentangle - Soloman's Seal

The Pentangle - Sweet Child - Double lbum

The Quick - Mondo Deco

The Red Crayola with the Familiar Ugly

The Saints - Eternally Yours

The Saints - I'm Stranded

The Seeds - Falling Off the Edge

The Seeds - Future

The Seeds - Raw and Alive - Merlin's Music Box

The Seeds - The Seeds

The Suicide Comandos - Make A Record

The Velvet Underground - "1969" - double album

The Velvet Underground - Live at Max's Kansas City

The Velvet Underground - Loaded

The Velvet Underground - Squeeze

The Velvet Underground - Untitled

The Velvet Underground - White Light / White Heat

Thobbing Gristle - (untitled )

Thunder Train - Teenage Suicide

Tooth and Nail - (untitled)

Triumvirat - Old Loves Die Hard

Volumatrix - Volume I

Wire - Chairs Missing

Wire -Untitled

Xray Specs - Germfree Adolescents

XTC 3D EP

Paul

That's one solid 'table! Looks like it weighs a ton.

It does remind me of my mom's early '70s Elac Miracord 40A from West Germany, custom made for RadioShack's Realistic lineup...it had a springy suspension that floated within its plastic wood-grain cabinet, and four buttons: "Stop," "12", "10" and "7" inch which selected automatic operation depending on record size. Speeds included 16, 33, 45 and 78 RPM, and the Realistic cartridge that came with it took a Shure stylus. It looked very much like this one, and similar to your Dual IMO. My mom's got it packed away...wonder if it still operates?[:^)]

post-11084-13819271355466_thumb.jpg