200 wpc amp.. for 7.1 sound..Looking for suggestions and why?

IndyKlipschFan

There are many excellent 200 watt amps. I use Sunfire due to lack of ventilation in my cabinet. Sound quality is excellent. Older Sunfires have a S/N ratio around -100 db. Newer models are -115 db. The Sunfires have both current and voltage outputs on two or three channels depending on the age (vintage) of the amp. The current taps have a 1 ohm resistor in series to create a more tube like sound.

You may want to buy used Aragon 8008s. I am not a big fan of running 7 channels off of one power supply. The 8008 has a separate power supply for each channel. The 8008s can follow any Klipsch impedance curve with ease including the RF-7s that dip to 2.8 ohms. The dual mono design should provide for excellent channel separation.

Bill

Indy,

I know you said 7.1 but the new PS AUDIO got rave reviews (5 channel version) in the upcoming WSR.

I had breakfast with the reviewer and he thought it was a great product

and both he and I feel "digital" (that damn D word) will soon start to

take over the amp business. Good sound, reliable electronics,

smaller chassis and no heat...

Shoot me an email at mmiles@icrinc.net or call the office 410.548.2274. Would like to chat. How's the RS7's doing?

Regards,

Mike

Indy's HT will be all pro split LaScalas.

It seems like 200 watts x 7 is overkill for 104 db sensitive speakers unless you own an actual theater. You only gain 3 db of headroom over a 100 watt amp.

I could be in the minority.....

I would also look at getting a 5-channel amp and a 2-channel amp instead of a 7-channel monster as recommended above.

Do you need balanced inputs? Do you want warmer amps? Which pre/pro?

I had the Sherbourn 7/2100A and although I liked its powerfulness, I wasn't too keen about the level of amp "hiss". I realize that a large wattage SS amp will be noisier than a low wattage amp, but the hiss was substantially greater than I thought it should be. As for sound, I thought it did a very nice job driving my vert Cornwalls (pre amp was my B&K Ref.50S2 in 2-channel mode). The sound wasn't harsh nor "warm", just very lively. In the end, I decided to sell it.

I re-evaluted my amp needs along with pondering the notion of a "clean first watt" that I've heard many hear speak about. To that end, I've started looking for amps in the 125 watt range that offer a "clean first watt", have a warm sound, and are quiet. To that end, I'm heading up to Charleston, SC (home of sunburnwilly) in a couple of weeks with a pair of my Heresys to listen to some Parasound and Audio Refinement (spin off from YBA) amps. If I like what I hear, I'lll be buying a 5 channel and a 2 channel amp for my HT.

Tom

My amps: 2 Aragon 8008, 2 Aragon 4004. No subwoofer, so there's one "spare" channel.

eBay bargains, especially the 4004 which costs less to buy and uses less electricity than the 8008 at low volume (lower bias--less heat too.) Heavy, so shipping gets spendy.

Can't break 'em with a stick. The 8008 is slightly "prettier" than the 4004. The 8008's are newer. Some say the 4004 sounds better. (I can't tell the difference in the sonics)

Big solid state amps do not have to be noisy in the first watt. Some are; some are not. It's all about quality, not just watts.

Headroom is less necessary on Khorne and La Scalas due to the benign impedance curve and the high sensitivity. The other side to that coin is that good amps with headroom are always a plus.

I agree with the Aragon 8008 and 4004 recommendation. McIntosh and Sunfire are also possibilities IMO.

Bill

Thanks for the input.. I love the Aragon Stage One 2007 upstairs.. just hate to take it out of the cabinet I have now.... And move, disconnect, disassemble re connect something that works so well upstairs too.

My first choice would be the Aragon gear.

McIntosh the 135 and the 7 channel amp would be incredible.. SOmetimes McIntosh seems slow to the show.. But usually gets it right.

B&K I saw at CEDIA.. Nice stuff./

I always admired Bob Carver... he seems to just take a different direction sometimes and make something wonderful! I think I remember 200 WPC little square amps as a kid..LOL.. So Sunfire also a consideration.