Sub high on wall in garage

grif

I want to put a sub in my garage. Can I put it on top of my upper cabinets in the corner? Will there be a definite difference in sound, than say on the floor somewhere. If I put it on the floor it would be exposed to more dirt and potential damage let alone take up valuable storage space. Also the concrete factor.

Suggestions, opinions????

Corner loading in an upper corner is fine.

Not only will you have the benefits of of corner loading, but people cannot localize changes in the vertical plane well at all.

Just please make sure that the sub is rigidly mounted to the wall as opposed to a cabinet that might rattle or come loose from long term vibration!

What sub? Hopefully not anything 100lbs or more. That me be detrimental long term! unless FIRMLY mounted at multiple locations, all wall studs or concrete.

In this case light TP rolls SVS subs will fit the bill.You mount them on a giant toilet paper roll holder! [:D]

With proper weight distribution and when bolts with threadlock are used to hold the supports several 100lbs can be wall mounted.Even the largest subs,would look strange and out of place anyway.

While your idea for a sub placement will certainly work, I can see another issue you may want to consider.

Not sure what your garage is like, but mine is pretty damn tidy - cabinets for all items and tools, floor textured and colored, work benches, wall racks, roll-a-round tool chest....well, you get the picture. I'm not real anal about my garage, but I keep it pretty darn clean. And even so, it doesn't take very long for dust and dead bugs to accumulate on the tops of the cabinets and spiders to make webs. My point is, you might have issues with dirt/dust/sawdust and/or bugs.

Just a thought.

Tom

When you put a sub in the corner of the floor and two walls, the floor at least is a fully reflective surface when it comes to long wavelength bass frequencies. if you put the sub in a corner with the ceiling and two walls, the ceiling wall will not reinforce bass as well as the floor.

When you put a sub in the corner of the floor and two walls, the floor at least is a fully reflective surface when it comes to long wavelength bass frequencies. if you put the sub in a corner with the ceiling and two walls, the ceiling wall will not reinforce bass as well as the floor.

I respectfully disagree Bob...

The primary benefit is that with each adjoining the surface you are halving the volume into which the acoustic energy radiates. This greatly overshadows any minor absorptive component that drywall might present (just as this is the case with the KHorn placement). Drywall does not exhibit sufficient mass to have much effect and the reflective characteristics will dominate relative to the long wavelengths.

The volumetric progression is :

Suspended in the air equidistant from all surfaces: Q=1; Volume = 4pi steradians

Mounted in center of the floor equidistant from all surfaces: Q=2; Volume = 2pi steradians

Mounted at the intersection of any 2 surfaces: Q=4; Volume = pi steradians

Mounted at the intersection of any 2 surfaces (corner): Q=8; Volume =pi/2 steradians

By the way, an often misinterpreted point with regards to the above in establishing a directivity factor Q by placement of the source near a reflecting surface (mirror imaging) is that the source must be at, not in, the surface!

Loudspeakers mounted in the wall, at lower frequencies , exhibit "mutual coupling". (see Henney's Handbook of Engineering) When a single speaker is mounted in a wall, half the power goes into another space. When the loudspeaker is mounted near the wall, half of the power is reflected back into the space.

I respectfully disagree Bob...

The primary benefit is that with each adjoining the surface you are halving the volume into which the acoustic energy radiates. This greatly overshadows any minor absorptive component that drywall might present (just as this is the case with the KHorn placement). Drywall does not exhibit sufficient mass to have much effect and the reflective characteristics will dominate relative to the long wavelengths.

The volumetric progression is :

Suspended in the air equidistant from all surfaces: Q=1; Volume = 4pi steradians

Mounted in center of the floor equidistant from all surfaces: Q=2; Volume = 2pi steradians

Mounted at the intersection of any 2 surfaces: Q=4; Volume = pi steradians

Mounted at the intersection of any 2 surfaces (corner): Q=8; Volume =pi/2 steradians

By the way, an often misinterpreted point with regards to the above in establishing a directivity factor Q by placement of the source near a reflecting surface (mirror imaging) is that the source must be at, not in, the surface!

Loudspeakers mounted in the wall, at lower frequencies , exhibit "mutual coupling". (see Henney's Handbook of Engineering) When a single speaker is mounted in a wall, half the power goes into another space. When the loudspeaker is mounted near the wall, half of the power is reflected back into the space.

I agree with LillFyr here,Bob go stand in the corner...and enjoy more bass [:)]

Be it the floor or the celling the gain will be the same.Now if the floor is more rigid(solid,sturdy) and the celling flexes more than the floor will reinforce more.

But we all know floors flex a good deal less than cellings.RIGHT You will be a wee bit more gain from placing a sub on the floor as opposed to ..the celling [:P]

• 2 weeks later...

Dragon and Ear, you miss my point. I assume that the floor in this garage is a concrete slab and that the ceiling is not (pretty safe assumption on the ceiling). I am not thinking about and absorption by the drywall etc as this is negligible to zero at low frequencies. The ceiling will allow much bass to pass right through rather than be reinforced and directed back into the listening area whereas the floor (assuming it's solid slab) will not allow bass to pass through to any appreciable extent.

Here at Klipscch we do 1/8th space testing on subs in a specially constructed, reinforced concrete corner that's about 15' in its smallest dimension. It's outside on the back side of our tech center. Also great for handball but that's another story.

Ah HA

Trey shows up,you took the bait!

Now,whenis the Premiere series subwoofer comming out? [:D]

Yes a garage foor is often a solid,inert concrete slab,the celling is often gypse,flexible in comparison. The floor will be a much better bass reinforcement tool than a flex-O-matic celling.