Harman Kardon Owners Inside Please: Digital Sat. TV Shows "Crackling Sounds/Voice" from my Horns... Anyone else ever notice this???

Tim_in_NC

Hi Guys...

I'm starting to go nuts...

A while back, after adding an RC-3II to my theater setup, I've been noticing an issue with Television shows via my digital sat. service ...

While watching a show, I sometimes notice some form of crackling or high pitched distortion while someone is speaking or during a scene of sudden intensity, etc... coming from my horns... Primarily the RC-3II horn...

Has anyone else ever noticed this???

I was wondering if changing out the Optical Audio Cable to a normal RCA Audio Connection Cable might help to relieve these sounds that are seeming to drive me nuts when I hear them...

Any feedback would be appreciated...

-TIM

A few thoughts.

Speakers make some odd sounds, like crackling, when they are hit with low bass which they can not reproduce.

Please check that the center is set to "small" in the HT set up. You might want to set the mains to small too, assuming you have a sub.

= = = =

Also, it is easy to inadvertently change well functioning default settings with a new addition. It could be in a menu or a front panel setting. A buddy of mine ran into this.

The DVD input seemed to work, or at least gave acceptable sound. The TV and CD input gave no output, even though they had in past days.

It turned out that the front panel buttons for the flanking (main A and main B) were off. I was only able to find that by fooling with buttons, like a fool that I am. A little red LED comes on when they are on, but it is easy to overlook.

Now you may wonder how that created the results descibed..

The answer was that in DVD (with Dolby multi-channel source, sensed), the center, sub, and surrounds were turned on. So there was some pretty good sound coming out.

However, with a CD or TV source, the Dolby did not come on and the "intelligent" computer only sent a signal to the mains, which were off.

Naturally this does not descibe your problem. It does, though, show how "the magic of computers" can obscure a basic underlying issue.

Let us all know what you find.

Best,

Gil

Thanks Gil,

Everything appears to be set correctly, It's just that the Horn of the RC-3II seems to give an occassional slight crackle or pop with voice from Sat. TV shows...

I was using the Yamaha RX-V793 & RX-V1300 with an older KV-1 Klipsch Center Channel (NON Horn Center) for many years... I just don't recall ever noticing such rasp or crackle from television shows before...

After changing to the RC-3II and the HK 7300 ... I now notice this rasp or crackle that I'm mentioning...

This is my first time using a center with a Horn...so maybe this is normal but I've yet to adapt to the new sounds that I'm hearing during TV viewing...

I don't seem to notice this same effect while watching DVD's or listening to CD's...On very rare DVD/CD audio playback, I may hear this effect but not to the same magnitude of the Sat. TV shows...

I've been playing with the Center Channel Crossover setting of the HK7300: I've tried 150 Mhz, 200 Mhz, and have now gone to 80 Mhz...

I also noticed last night that my treble setting was -4 and bass was +2 ... I then, after changing the center X-over to 80 Mhz, adjusted the treble setting +2 and left the bass at +2 ... This did seem to show some improvement... Oh yes, the center was set to Small and I left it there...All of my other Klipsch speakers (RP-5's & RF-3's) are set to LARGE...

What am I running into hear??? Is it just that I'm a newbie to the center horn arena and that coupled with a new, more powerful receiver...I'm just not use to the sounds and the imperfections of TV shows...

OR... do I have my settings incorrect???

I would feel better if others experience this same effect during the watching of Digital Sat. TV...

Let me know if I'm all alone here or not...

Thanks,

TIM

I have an HK AVR500 and had crackling / high pitch distorsion issues w/ my center channel in Logic 7. Try changing the surround mode to something other than logic 7 and see if it still happens. I went back and forth w/ HK technical help for 6 months with no resolve. I have 2 friends who had the same receiver and the same problem. I went to a circut city and was able to produce the same problem there. I called Public Relations and spoke to someone. I asked them to listen to Dave Mathews Crash CD in logic 7 and call me. HK took the 3 receivers back and sent us new ones after they fixed the problem. No issues since.

• 10 months later...