The best bassist in the entire history of the world

theryugobuddy

If you didn't notice, there's a huge thread on drummers in 2-Channel. Why are the bass dudes always the last to be mentioned? Shoot, I usually hum along to the basslines in most rock songs instead of the leads, of course contrapuntally to the them.

The bass gives music its punch, its thump, and its pedestal. A great bassist has to play the melody and fit in filigrees, too. So many times, a great bassist gives his band's music the cohesiveness it has to have to be relevant--anyway , enough of that--

Chris Squire, John Entwhistle, Paul McCartney, Gary Thain (Uriah Heep), Flea, are some of my favorites--I can't pick just one. Jazz-- I like Charlie Haden, Charlie Mingus and Marc Johnson.

I f I had to pick the best bassist ever, it would be Geddy Lee-- he makes Rush sound funky, and that is a major feat--

But, I'm sure others might have different opinions...

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are plenty of good bass players, and before this thread becomes another personality contest where many simply list the player of their favorite band or their favorite personality (Waters, McCartney, Sting),

may I suggest a few who have had a lasting impact on the art of playing the bass rather then their trend setting hairstyle, charismatic manner, or the popularity of the band they were in:

Jack Casady

John Entwistle

Stanley Clarke

James Jamerson

Tony Levin

Larry Graham

Jaco Pastorius

Charles Mingus

Victor Wooten

Edgar Meyer

Jack Bruce (you can actually make a better case for his being a premier writer and perhaps the premier male vocalist rather than for truly innovative bass, but hey! ;-)

So now you can pile on the Geddy Lees. Stings, McCartneys, Roger Waters, Fleas, Squires, and the so many others who while they were proficient or charismatic (or even obnoxious) personalities, or whatever, but have not had a significant impact upon how the bass is played or its role in music.[:P]

Edgar Meyer? I'll have to check him out--

Since you are already into Bela Fleck, a great suggestion for Edgar Meyer's contributions would be

Strength in Numbers (The Telluride Sessions) (Bela Fleck, Edgar Meyers, Sam Bush, Jerry Douglas, Mark Oconnor and others.. very good acoustic music)

Tales from the Acoustic Planet, Vol. 2 (Edgar Meyer and Victor Wooten are both on this one... one cut has them both playing ... very satisfying listening)

Woo

I had never heard of Widespread Panic when I saw them at the Sunfest in West Palm Beach on "alternative night"many years ago. David Schools blew me away--he carried them through all the songs. He seems way down in the mix on most of their recordings, compared to what I remember that night--

He's the best I've seen live--with Entwhistle a close second--

There are plenty of good bass players, and before this thread becomes another personality contest where many simply list the player of their favorite band or their favorite personality (Waters, McCartney, Sting),

may I suggest a few who have had a lasting impact on the art of playing the bass rather then their trend setting hairstyle, charismatic manner, or the popularity of the band they were in:

Jack Casady

John Entwistle

Stanley Clarke

James Jamerson

Tony Levin

Larry Graham

Jaco Pastorius

Charles Mingus

Victor Wooten

Edgar Meyer

Jack Bruce (you can actually make a better case for his being a premier writer and perhaps the premier male vocalist rather than for truly innovative bass, but hey! ;-)

So now you can pile on the Geddy Lees. Stings, McCartneys, Roger Waters, Fleas, Squires, and the so many others who while they were proficient or charismatic (or even obnoxious) personalities, or whatever, but have not had a significant impact upon how the bass is played or its role in music.[:P]

Being a bass player for over 35 years I must disagree with you on Squire, he is MUCH more than proficient, Jack Bruce sounds like me next to Squire. Don't even get me started on Entwistle, Geddy Lee. This has nothing to do with personality, hair, ect. just talent. Squire made the bass an out front instrument rather than a secondary thought. I could get into all the technical aspects but I think I would be banging my head againt the door. Oh and Roger Waters is a VERY good player, not in the same league as others but again, better than Jack Bruce, or as we call him, Hi-jack bruce for the runs he steals.

Flame On

Ron

God, for singing/songwriting bassists I think Phil Lynott had Jack Bruce beat, IMO. Thin Lizzy were so much more than "The Boys Are Back In Town"-- a great and very distinctive singer and he played within the songs--

There are plenty of good

bass players, and before this thread becomes another personality

contest where many simply list the player of their favorite band or

their favorite personality (Waters, McCartney, Sting),

may I suggest a few who have had a lasting impact on the art of playing

the bass rather then their trend setting hairstyle, charismatic

manner, or the popularity of the band they were in:

Jack Casady

John Entwistle

Stanley Clarke

James Jamerson

Tony Levin

Larry Graham

Jaco Pastorius

Charles Mingus

Victor Wooten

Edgar Meyer

So

now you can pile on the Geddy Lees. Stings, McCartneys, Roger Waters,

Fleas, Squires, and the so many others who while they were

proficient or charismatic (or even obnoxious) personalities, or

whatever, but have not had a significant impact upon how the bass is played or its role in music.[:P]

Great Post ...[:)]

God, for singing/songwriting bassists I think Phil Lynott had Jack Bruce beat, IMO. Thin Lizzy were so much more than "The Boys Are Back In Town"-- a great and very distinctive singer and he played within the songs--

I agree 100%

Forgot about Phil.

Jack Casady

John Entwistle

Stanley Clarke

James Jamerson

Tony Levin

Larry Graham

Jaco Pastorius

Charles Mingus

Victor Wooten

Edgar Meyer

Being a bass player for over 35 years I must disagree with you on Squire, he is MUCH more than proficient, Jack Bruce sounds like me next to Squire. Don't even get me started on Entwistle, Geddy Lee. This has nothing to do with personality, hair, ect. just talent. Squire made the bass an out front instrument rather than a secondary thought. I could get into all the technical aspects but I think I would be banging my head againt the door. Oh and Roger Waters is a VERY good player, not in the same league as others but again, better than Jack Bruce, or as we call him, Hi-jack bruce for the runs he steals.

Flame On

Ron

No flame, I'm just not sure what the real issue is here![:P]

Squire is talented. OK... But he was not responsible for the bass moving out front nor in playing melody lines. And playing with a pick or a Rickenbacker is not exactly an innovation.[:P] We ironically did a few shows with them and the Eagles with Poco in '72 (heck, who remembers the exact dates!). A very interesting (read weird!) mix of styles! And with all due respect, while Yes was very talented, Anderson's vocals drive me up the wall!

But no matter, as my criteria was in the area of innovation! Not who was the most popular! Nor the fastest, nor the loudest, nor any of a dozen other attributes.The list of extremely proficient bass players is pages long! The list of innovators is NOT!

And if you want to take issue with Entwistle, be my guest. You are on your own! He almost single handedly brought the bass out of the basement as the first to play registers never before explored with the bass. And Squire and Geddy Lee, et. al. simply proficiently occupied the territory already blazed!

And I attributed the limitation to Bruce of not being an innovator as far as his bass paying was concerned!! Although I will put his songwriting up against anything that Thin Lizzy ever produced! And if you want to fault his vocals, be my guest. I disagree. I simply added him as a personal emotional favorite! So what is the point that was not already made in the post?[:D] And if we want to list proficient bass players who are great vocalists, the list is long as well, and we could add Tim Schmidt and so many others! I just like Jack Bruce! And I'll put Theme from an Imaginary Western up against anything Thin Lizzy or anyone has done![:P]

And while I am not sure what time in grade playing matters, but if it does, I have played now for ~40 years, actually spending more time recently wrestling with the upright (and still not sure who is winning) for my personal enjoyment, but still occassionally resorting (primarily) to a Fender Precision rosewood fretless and even occasionally to the EB-3L obtained for me by Jack C while I was still in high school in Fairfax!! After all, it ironically has a direct connection to how I started working with a few of these folks when I was still 17. ...And leading up to my association with Victor, Reg, Joe, Roy and the rest of the family in addition to a few other notables who accompanied them to Nashville from Norfolk in '88. And that is not to mention several other notables such as Avery Johnson, Roy Vogt, Anthony Joyner and Davey Roe! And they are ALL amazing players! Whatever this all means![:D]

How's that for rambling![:P][:P]

Jack Casady

John Entwistle

Stanley Clarke

James Jamerson

Tony Levin

Larry Graham

Jaco Pastorius

Charles Mingus

Victor Wooten

Edgar Meyer

Flame On

Ron

No flame, I'm just not sure what the real issue is here![:P]

Squire is talented. OK... But he was not responsible for the bass moving out front nor in playing melody lines. And playing with a pick or a Rickenbacker is not exactly an innovation.[:P] We ironically did a few shows with them and the Eagles with Poco in '72 (heck, who remembers the exact dates!). A very interesting (read weird!) mix of styles! And with all due respect, while Yes was very talented, Anderson's vocals drive me up the wall!

But no matter, as my criteria was in the area of innovation! Not who was the most popular! Nor the fastest, nor the loudest, nor any of a dozen other attributes.The list of extremely proficient bass players is pages long! The list of innovators is NOT!

And if you want to take issue with Entwistle, be my guest. You are on your own! He almost single handedly brought the bass out of the basement as the first to play registers never before explored with the bass. And Squire and Geddy Lee, et. al. simply proficiently occupied the territory already blazed!

And I attributed the limitation to Bruce of not being an innovator as far as his bass paying was concerned!! Although I will put his songwriting up against anything that Thin Lizzy ever produced! And if you want to fault his vocals, be my guest. I disagree. I simply added him as a personal emotional favorite! So what is the point that was not already made in the post?[:D] And if we want to list proficient bass players who are great vocalists, the list is long as well, and we could add Tim Schmidt and so many others! I just like Jack Bruce! And I'll put Theme from an Imaginary Western up against anything Thin Lizzy or anyone has done![:P]

And while I am not sure what time in grade playing matters, but if it does, I have played now for ~40 years, actually spending more time recently wrestling with the upright (and still not sure who is winning) for my personal enjoyment, but still occassionally resorting (primarily) to a Fender Precision rosewood fretless and even occasionally to the EB-3L obtained for me by Jack C while I was still in high school in Fairfax!! After all, it ironically has a direct connection to how I started working with a few of these folks when I was still 17. ...And leading up to my association with Victor, Reg, Joe, Roy and the rest of the family in addition to a few other notables who accompanied them to Nashville from Norfolk in '88. And that is not to mention several other notables such as Avery Johnson, Roy Vogt, Anthony Joyner and Davey Roe! And they are ALL amazing players! Whatever this all means![:D]

How's that for rambling![:P][:P]

Sorry,

I'm not alone in my disdaine(sp?) for Entwistle. Hardly the first to explore the finer points, I'd argue that Jaco Pastorius did that, maybe even John Mills. If we want to explore Bass players who write and sing I'll take the late James Dewer of Stone The Crows and Robin Trower, he wrote circles around Bruce IMO.

I love Theme from an Imaginary Western, we opened for Leslie in 74? At the Chicago Amphitheater.

Better that Closer to the Edge? Hardly

I guess we'll agree to disagree. just know one thing......I'm right and you're wrong nah, nah[;)]

Before AMG, I always bought the Rolling Stone Record Guide when it came out to discover and read about new music. It was always interesting and insightful, but often snotty and extremely subjective. Like Patti Smith was transcendant and Journey was ugly corporate rock. Early Genesis sucked and Billy Joel was trite, etc. They reviewed albums based on each album's significance in innovation or its statement in the pantheon of rock, not on whether the music kicked butt or reached your soul or not.

AMG was, and still is, a breath of fresh air. Because if you like prog rock, at AMG you'll find a review that's probably written by a fan of prog rock, so you'll read whether the music is good or not. Same with rap or country or emo-- If its significant, great--but is it good? I heard alot of boring-- yet significant-- music out there--

OK--my point: I don't judge whether a bassist, band, or bongo player is good because he was the first innovator of this or the most significant of that. I just want a great player that kicks my butt or tickles the ears. Chris Squire, John Entwhistle, Flea, James Dewar, Phil Lynott, Gary Thain, Cliff Burton, Adam Clayton, Paul McCartney, Jaco, and the others mentioned here all are damn great performers--

I don't care if they were the first to do anything--are they good when I put on the earphones?

Before AMG, I always bought the Rolling Stone Record Guide when it came out to discover and read about new music. It was always interesting and insightful, but often snotty and extremely subjective. Like Patti Smith was transcendant and Journey was ugly corporate rock. Early Genesis sucked and Billy Joel was trite, etc. They reviewed albums based on each album's significance in innovation or its statement in the pantheon of rock, not on whether the music kicked butt or reached your soul or not.

AMG was, and still is, a breath of fresh air. Because if you like prog rock, at AMG you'll find a review that's probably written by a fan of prog rock, so you'll read whether the music is good or not. Same with rap or country or emo-- If its significant, great--but is it good? I heard alot of boring-- yet significant-- music out there--

OK--my point: I don't judge whether a bassist, band, or bongo player is good because he was the first innovator of this or the most significant of that. I just want a great player that kicks my butt or tickles the ears. Chris Squire, John Entwhistle, Flea, James Dewar, Phil Lynott, Gary Thain, Cliff Burton, Adam Clayton, Paul McCartney, Jaco, and the others mentioned here all are damn great performers--

I don't care if they were the first to do anything--are they good when I put on the earphones?

Perfect attitude.

Love the Gary Thain point, forgot about him as well. Thats usually how I judge a performer, do I like it. Sometimes I get caught up in arguments, especially about bass players, about inovation, who cares.

How freaking good does he play is the only criteria. The topic wasn't "best inovative bass player ever"

it was best best player ever. I'll stick with my original answer.

Gene Simmons of Kiss....only kidding.

One I forgot about also Noel Redding-Jimi Hendrix Band

Ron