Is it possible to convert the type-AL into perhaps a type A or AA without purchasing extra parts?

tofu

I definitely plan on upgrading my crossovers in the near future, but i'd like to experiment a bit to get an idea of how bad my networks really are. I realize my caps are probably all off spec, but seeing as how the general concensus is the type al's are quite possibly the worst networks ever, i don't see how "tampering" with them a bit could hurt.

i did some searching and didn't come up with much info. i saw a few posters alluding to the idea that it is indeed possible (perhaps values will be slightly off) to convert AL to A without any further purchases.

anyone have more info on this?

thank you.

Not possible without purchasing parts and perhaps (according to which version of crossover labeled AL that you have), it may share none of the parts except the tweeter caps. And they are likely bad enough to need replacment anyway.

Bob Crites

Tofu,

It isn't reasonable to convert the AL to the "AA", but you can impove it. The tweeter filter in the AL is actually ok as is. The thing to do is chop out the stupid L-C netwroks and replace the squawker cap and transformer. The modified schematic is attached. Chop out everything crossed with a red X. You would do a lot better to build one my universal netwroks though!

Al K.

post-2934-13819273573316_thumb.gif

Tofu,

It isn't reasonable to convert the AL to the "AA", but you can impove it. The tweeter filter in the AL is actually ok as is. The thing to do is chop out the stupid L-C netwroks and replace the squawker cap and transformer. The modified schematic is attached. Chop out everything crossed with a red X. You would do a lot better to build one my universal netwroks though!

Al K.

why thank you, al. something like this is exactly what i was looking for. i just want to get a little taste of what network improvements entail before i go for the kill. and yes, building your networks is exactly what i had in mind for the long run.

edit: oh, by the way. are these modifications still recommended even without replacing the transformer and adding the 13uf cap?

difference was immediately noticable. i'm not sure how to calculate crossover points, but it sounds "warmer."

mission accomplished. now i've had first hand experience as to how crossovers can affect sound.

thanks again for the help, al.