Building the NEW Klipschmonster!

KBlair

Lottery, what's that?!

Argh, GeForce2 Ultra for $499!!!!!! WTF?!?!? Why does nVidia want to complicate my life?????

Oh, and I don't play Q3A, so those benchmarks mean nothing to me. I honestly can't tell the difference between 80fps and 100fps, maybe I will on the new monitor. Thanks for the heads up on the Radeon. What was I thinking VooDoo????? Any word on the Radeon All-in-wonder with 64mb???? That would rock balls!

You wanted a link to the new 24" Sony, here it is! Now, here's a tough question. The 24" uses a variable apeture grill pitch Trinitron tube from .23 to .27, while the 21" has a fixed .22 pitch across the entire width of the screen. Which is better? The 24" has screen heigth of 12.13", while the 21" has a height of 11.58", and a diagonal of 20.22" vs. 19.8" for the 21" at standard resolutions. So while the screen is larger, it's not that much larger at standard resolutions, plus the 21" will be sharper because of the tighter pitch. Why does this have to be so hard?

c>

------------------

Who knows what evil lurks in the darkness of The Kave ?

www.thekave.net Home of The Klipschmonster!

shot_fw900.jpg

Geeesh!

Yeah, just spend all morning (day off and all) reading GeFarce2 Ultra benchmarks, 1600x1200 HQ and still playable framerates!

Still, the "old" Geforce2 with the new Detonator drivers is fast as lightning, I mean, who does play at 1600x1200?

Even FSAA is feasible now, although clearly (IMO) behind Voodoo.

Ridiculous amount of cash tho!

Oh, concerning the dotpitch, and I can be very wrong in this, smaller=better for text, .23-.27 better for pictures, images.

I should have said "Which is better, size or smaller pitch?" Yes ladies, in this case, smaller is better smile.gif

Josh, if you don't buy those damn Xfires soon, I'm going to fly to the Netherlands and hit you over the head with my new 24" monitor!

Why is the Sony 21" only available in beige? ARGH!

c>

------------------

Impressive review! I tried downloading the Detonator 3 driver but the Nvidia ftp and http servers were hella slow on my slo-modem (200-300 bps!) so I gave up. Seems that the new driver should even help my TNT card run faster (yeah!)

Man, after reading that review, I can't wait until the NV 20 comes out! However, if they don't get faster memory to match the faster processor, it won't really matter THAT much. And, OMG, how much will it cost? eek.gif

OK guys, little help here please. See, I've got this problem. I've got $6600 and I don't know what to buy first!! j/k

Actually, I've got enough to go ahead and get either the 24" monitor or the mobo, Tbird and 4 IBM 75GXP 30GB harddrives. I'm leaning towards the monitor because those prices are a lot more stable than the rest of the stuff. Does that sound like a smart move?

UPDATE: I tried to order the 24" directly from Sony, and here's what I got:

quote:

Multiscan FW900 Computer Display

Unfortunately the item that you have chosen is temporarily out of stock.

Our estimated availability date for this product is 08/30/2000

Oh well, couple weeks isn't that bad.

c>

------------------

quote:

Originally posted by KBlair:

Screw it, I'm just going to order this :

c>

2 things wrong with that system. #1 Iomega doesnt make an internal Zip 250 SCSI drive. Just external. #2 BOSE??!! Who would want that crap when you can get some sweet ProMedias for only $250.c>

------------------

When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct Tape.

Hey, check it out: another GF2 vid card, this one made by SUMA. It's got 64 MB of 5.5 ns memory (as opposed to 4 ns in the Ultra) but it's supposed to cost around $300. Mmmm, tasty!

There's a review in www.tomshardware.com if you want to tease yourself.

If I were spending KBlair's cash, though, I'd go with the Ultra, just because you NEED 64 MB of 4 ns DDR RAM!

First of all, Don't give me any of the Voodoo Bull@^%#. Go with stability. DAC speed doesn't matter if your game crashes every 5 minutes. Here's the dream machine if you want your computer to work.

-Asus K7M

-Sweet Bios, ISA slot (for your SB64...)

-Athlon 750 or better

-Depending on your $$$ situtation

-Matrox G400

-The best T&L

-Environment Bump Mapping, none of that

-Cubic garbage

-An ISA SB64

-Made back when Soundblaster was good

-Good drivers (suprisingly)

-Supports Surround Sound

-Wont screw your registry up like Liveware

-If you are using more than 64mb, set your config to server (Hardware profiles)

-If you want a Geforce2 that costs god knows how much, then go buy it, but you'll be an idiot. The G400 is the most stable card with the best rendering, period. Nvidia can produce a real driver, and then I'll consider it...

------------------

----------------------

That's the bottom line,

Cause Tekk said so!

• 1 month later...

hey Kblair, soundcards with decodeing onboard have arrived from creative! they are called sblive platinum 5.1, x-gamer 5.1, and mp3+ 5.1. The x-gamer comes with newer games includeing theif2 and ut. As far as I know this is powered by the insanely fast EMU10K1 SPU (new word? hehe smile.gif) the reason I say insanely fast is because this chip can match a pentium 90 in performance, without ANY cooling (yea, go overclock your soundcard now) the chip is faster than the sq3500 would of been, but you got 95snr instead of 98snr from the 3500. As far as your videocard I'd recommend Radeon 32mb, these cards don't seem to gain much performance by doubleing available ram but you save a lot of cash! As far as monitor prices being stable remember a 19 inch cost upwards of $1000 just 1.5 years ago (correct me if I'm wrong, please). Even powersupplies might (I hope) go down in price for 400w and above with the realease of power hungry chips like athlon (minimum 250watt, amd approved) and the new pentium 4, due on halloween. Neway those are my advices...RDRAM is way down as well, $170 for 128mb pc 800 if you go eBay. As for monitor, I'd go 21' myself, but thats up to you, infact its all up to you! Don't you need some extreme cooling and overclocking of the ol' noodle? Yea, that might help. Also can find reviews on www.neoseeker.com I'd recommend that site. neway this is way longer than I first intended, laterz

-Gxcad