Anybody tried squeezing Chorus II's into a small room? am I crazy?? I did that..

robster

Howdee-our music/computer room is 10 feet wide by 11 feet long with 8 foot ceiling,last night I moved the Chorus II's from the den which is roughly 18X25 with vaulted 18 foot ceiling into the music/computer room. I moved the Forte 1's out of the music/computer room into the den.

The Chorus' are sweeter in the midrange and have smoother high's than the Forte's and this appeals to me,that's why I switched out the speakers.

I do 90% of my listening to tunes in the music/computer room.

But am I crazy to squeeze my refridgerator sized Chorus's into a small room?

My listening position is about 6-feet in front of the chorus'. Both Forte 1's and the Chorus II's have Dean G. modified crossovers and my tt,VRD's and blueberry are set up in computer/music room.

I'll give it a few weeks to see if the Chorus II's work out in the music/computer room.

So am I wacked out to put my Chorus II's in such a small room?

As said before on paper the Chorus II's don't seem to be that much bigger than the Forte's but in real life they are bigger.

Cheers,

Robert

So am I wacked out to put my Chorus II's in such a small room? As said before on paper the Chorus II's don't seem to be that much bigger than the Forte's but in real life they are bigger. Cheers, Robert

Back a while ('70's) when I had a smaller house I had WAY bigger speaker systems in a room not that much larger than the one you describe. At one time or another I had a huge tri-amped Pro JBL system with seperate bass bins, wide wooden diffraction mid horns and high range horns then followed by LaScalas and then Klipschorns.

Heck, even now my Klipschorns are in a room not that much bigger than yours, about 13' x 11' x 8' with a few external openings. I'm sort of semi "near field" listening and that can be a good thing. Although a bigger space is more ideal, you're domestic situation is far from being unusual.

Actually Robert I've squeezed my listening room into a pair of Chorus II... Seriously, my lounge, listening area, child playroom and office must be 10' x 16' and they are approx 7' apart - I sit 8' from them. No it's not ideal and they don't sound perfect but when they came up for sale I had to buy them for they never come on the 2nd hand market here in Portugal, in fact other than mind I believe there are no more here - anybody know different? My wife hates how they look, (black) their size and the floor space they consume, especially when toed in towards my listening postioning. But I'll be buying a bigger house one day - unfortunately most appartments have small sized rooms. It's no point me worrying too much regarding positioning at the moment - but I love them anyway. Esp with the SET Unison Research simply 4 and Linn LP12. Actually a friend in NYC also running a Linn and Bottlehead amps has just bought a pair of Forte 1s after listening to my reccomendations: by all accounts he loves his too. Hope to see him in here soon...

Matt

I'll disagree.

The tweeter will be aimed right at you, resulting in a very bright

presentation because you are so close to the driver. You will also have

poor driver integration sitting less than 6' away. And don't get me

started on standing waves being

exacerbated by such a small room, resulting in a muddled bass and

mid-range region. At least in a larger room, you can play around in

positioning the speakers to minimize this effect, but

in a room that size, you have way fewer options.

I moved into a smaller home a few years ago where I had to put my

Cornwalls into a 16 x 19' room, previously 29' x 21'. I had to get rid of them because

they not only visually over-powered the room, but sonically too. Using

smaller Fortes now and much happier. My 2 cents, on the flip-side.

If

you wait long enough, I'm sure someone will pipe up and say those

small-refrigerator sized speakers sound great in a closet too.

Disagreeing to what? The poster didn't ask about problems, and there are problems inherent in every system / room.

I am however not disagreeing that there are sonic consequences, there certainly are. No diffferent than an audiofool that puts $250,000 in cables and amps on relatively average speakers in a horrible room.

I would sooner have fairly average electronics and speakers in a good room myself.

O.K. I put the Chorus II's back in the big den and moved the forte II's back into the music room. I got a bug up my butt and thought I would try new titanium tweeter diaphragms in my Forte 1's last week and took out the original ones,which were fine. Well the new diaphragms seem to be brighter and a tad harsher than the originals. I just put the original diaphrgams back in,and the sound is somewhat smoother now.

Cheers,

Robert