Sonic Differences between the Forte 1 and the Forte 2

fletcherkane

I have the opportunity to pick up a pair of Forte 2's locally, and want to know if any one hear has had both and can compare them sonically. I have long had original Forte's and have loved the sound.

The forte 2 has a 15" passive verses the 12" on the original...Does this translate into better bass response, or is it just cool to have a 15" woofer to show off to your friends?

Also, the mid range horn looks like a tractrix instead of the exponential horn on the original. Does this help the speaker mesh better with other klipsch speaks with a tractrix horn? Would the 2's be a better sonic match with my C7 center?

I have tried to hijack a couple of other recent forte threads with these questions but haven't had much luck.

Who's owned both, and what is the sonic difference?

I've had significant listening time with both, and think they both sound great. I haven't listened to them side-by-side, but I would say that the differences between the two are relatively small. The biggest difference will be in the mid-horn. Since they don't make these anymore and your only choices are what's available on the used market, I wouldn't select one over the othere -- they're both great. Buy what you are able to find.

Sorry but boomac only has experience with Forte IIs. The IIs have the tractrix horn and a larger passive radiator so I think they may have a bit greater bass response. Probably not much, however. I would suggest you buy the best conditioned pair unless you are thinking of using them in the home theater environment. In that case, buy the Forte IIs because you will have several excellent options for a center speaker. (I) Another Forte II (II) a Quartet (III) an Academy. All three will timbre match and you will love it.