NEED HELP!

wuzzzer

I received my HK 730 today, however something is terribly wrong with it!

I hooked up my speakers and also my DVD player just to test it out. I made sure I had the volume turned all the way off when I turned the receiver on. I turned the stereo on and sound only was coming from my subwoofer. Couldn't figure out why, then I noticed that I forgot to push in the button to activate the speakers. [:$] After turning the receiver on, an incredibly loud crackling sound came from my right speaker when I just barely touched the volume knob.
I checked all connections, unhooked and re-connected them. Same thing. I also hooked my speakers up to the other speaker inputs. Same thing. The crackling sound is loud enough that I think my speakers will blow, NOT something that I want to happen!
I tried it without using the pre-out and pre-in to my subwoofer. Same thing. This sucks! It crackles like my Mom and Dad's old Emerson stereo, except a million times louder.

HELP! (I contacted the seller right away)

Even with your nasty loud symptoms, they are still consistent with a dirty rotary control. Some here use a cleaner called DeOxit, some use Radio Shack contact cleaner. You will need to take the cover off the receiver, but that isn't very hard. Some rotary control mechanisms (behind the outer knob) even have a little hole to spray cleaner into.

Incidentally, if your sub is hooked up to pre-out or any other line out connector (no LFE connection on non-HT receivers, of course), it won't change volume with the volume control, as those outputs are at a constant level. I discovered this in my auxilliary system; my sub was connected to one of the line outs, and when I turned the volume all the way down, the sub was still thumping away. It may be optimal or even necessary on those older stereo receivers to use speaker levels connections into and out of the sub.

Even with your nasty loud symptoms, they are still consistent with a dirty rotary control. Some here use a cleaner called DeOxit, some use Radio Shack contact cleaner. You will need to take the cover off the receiver, but that isn't very hard. Some rotary control mechanisms (behind the outer knob) even have a little hole to spray cleaner into.

Incidentally, if your sub is hooked up to pre-out or any other line out connector (no LFE connection on non-HT receivers, of course), it won't change volume with the volume control, as those outputs are at a constant level.

Well, the seller gave me the tip to turn the volume knob all the way up and back down 50-100 times (receiver unplugged of course!) Seemed to have solved the problem, there's only a very faint static-type sound at the lower levels on the volume knob.

As far as the pre-outs go, my sub doesn't play with the volume off. The pre-out level is not fixed and is controlled by the volume knob. If I turn the volume all the way down, there's no sound from the sub.

I am glad you got most of the problem fixed. It's always great when

it's a simple solution. When you figure those vintage receivers and

amps have accumulated various airborne particles, dust, etc., for

20+ years, it is more or less expected that the controls will become

noisy unless someone cleans them now and then.

Also glad to know about the pre-out vs. line out difference. I have

never used a pre-out connection for any purpose, and my vintage amp in

my secondary system does not even have one. Enjoy your system.