Any thoughts on these AMPs I am thinking of buying? Dyn Mk II

• Moderators

There are some Dynaco Mk. II's are for sale in my area for $250.00. Was wondering if anyone had any thoughts about the mods he discussed, the price, etc. The description is as follows in blue:

Completely rebuilt, excellent condition. The rebuild consisted of solid state rectification (full wave bridge) for the plate supply; the plate voltage now runs about 575v. I have dual 450uFd Mepco electrolytic caps in series to accommodate the higher plate voltage, so the total capacitance for the plate supply is 225uFd, substantially higher than the 15uFd stock multi cap. The bias supply has been beefed up with more filter capacitance and full wave rectification. All of the power for the input pentode and triode phase splitter (7199 tube) is separate from the output supply, again more filter capacitance. All supply caps have been bypassed with polystyrene caps and the signal path uses Resista resistors and Wonder caps all assembled with Wonder Solder. I eliminated the multi terminal strip in favor of single binding posts connected to the 4 ohm tap on the transformer, but this can be changed to accommodate other speaker impedances. I also have a heavy power switch located on the front of the unit for convenience. As far as the cages go, I have to look. I never used them because I thought it ran too hot and it looks cool to see the tubes anywayJ. The output tubes and VTL KT-99 and bias current is low at 30ma per tube. They work great it is just that my 2 year old daughter is way too curious and that could be really badL.

The amps work and sound great and have been absolutely reliable for the last fifteen years and basically everything I did was the best available at the time.

My thought was to get these to play with while I have some work done on my Mac Tube Amps, and then when I get those back maybe send these to Craig for an overhaul.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Travis