His & Her Room!

westcott

I did resize them and I see them fine.

Are you sure they are not showing up?

You cannot use the "insert image" button when trying to post pictures. Yes, they show up on your screen because you are linking to the files on your computer. However, everyone else on the internet does not have access to your computer so you must upload them first. Use the "file attachment" at the bottom instead and it will automatically insert the picture at the bottom of your post (so one image per post).

I tell you what, I looked like a genius to my wife when Rita was heading our way. The hurricane shutters were installed about three weeks before the hurricane blew through.

They also allowed easy control of the room lighting and did not hide the architectual details of the upper windows.

Thanks for the praise!

It took us 4 months to lay all the wood floors, wiring, lighting, furniture and equipment deliveries, hurricane shutter installations, etc. I did not show pictures but we also put maple floors in the study, living room, and dining room. We tiled the utility and the upstairs bathroom ourselves, as well.

A side note. Our electricity bill went through the roof while we lived and slept upstairs. The Houston heat in a two story home is brutal. Now that things are returning to normal, our electricity bill has dropped $300\month!!!!!!!! The curtains and shutters will pay for themselves in no time.

VERY NICE! Waiting for the Pictures to load was well worth the wait. [:)]The reason I asked about your Avatar is because it looks alot like what I see when I walk my dog along Lake Lewisville (near Dallas) and I was hoping you were a neighbor [;)]

I also noticed you have a planted aquarium. Are those real plants? My wife is on the board of directors for the "Aquatic Gardeners Association" and is an editor for their magazine. We were in Houston 2 years ago for their convention.

I have two aquariums. The fresh water tank is 30 gallons and houses real plants that I propogate and sell to the local fish stores.

I also have a 75 gallon marine aquarium in the living room that I propogate live corals in and sell, as well.

Exclusively hard stony corals and a few reef fish. I have been raising live stony corals for 29 years!!!

We have 5 planted Freshwater aquariums with "bait," [;)](not sure of their size--wife's hobby that I get to enjoy). She also has 3 tanks that she raises guppies in to sell to the local fish store. The "DFW Aquatic Plant Club" has monthly meetings where they get together to trade and talk about plants. From what I understand Houston has a large club as well.

BTW, Houston has some extremely impressive Aquarium stores with the most variety of fish I have ever seen! Anyway, congrats on both hobbies success and welcome to the forum. [:)] {edit: oops--I just saw that you have been here a while}

WOW! Thanks for sharing. The whole layout looks like it could

have been part of a "HT Planner" from a major A/V publication, it looks

that good. From the layout to the astethic quality the Klipsch

Ref series has in commanding a presence in your room,.... I

love it.

Joe

"can I move in?

WOW! Thanks for sharing. The whole layout looks like it could have been part of a "HT Planner" from a major A/V publication, it looks that good. From the layout to the astethic quality the Klipsch Ref series has in commanding a presence in your room,.... I love it.

Joe

"can I move in?

Judging by your profile, I would think you would tire of my home quickly.

I am sure that there is nothing like the island life!!!

Thank you for the kind words and if you are ever in the area, I am sure I can arrange a showing!

Your room looks great. Same goes for the kitchen by the way. Two questions:

1) Does your room sound bright because of the hardwood floors and relatively bare walls (shutters instead of drapes)?

2) Where did you get the audio rack and how much was it? We have a U-shaped sectional and I need to get a sofa table behind one part of it. Using that area for an audio rack would be great EXCEPT for the cable run to the HDTV and front speakers. We have a basement but it has been remodeled so cable runs will be a pain.

Your room looks great. Same goes for the kitchen by the way. Two questions:

1) Does your room sound bright because of the hardwood floors and relatively bare walls (shutters instead of drapes)?

2) Where did you get the audio rack and how much was it? We have a U-shaped sectional and I need to get a sofa table behind one part of it. Using that area for an audio rack would be great EXCEPT for the cable run to the HDTV and front speakers. We have a basement but it has been remodeled so cable runs will be a pain.

Thank you for the compliments.

1) I was really concerned before the furniture and curtains were hung because it was echoy (is that a word?) but when the curtains were hung on the left wall and the furniture and screen were hung, it made a dramatic difference in reducing many of the reflections in the room. I still have plans for an area rug and that should help as well. The upper windows are so high that they have little reflective influence compared to the windows on the first floor. That is why drapes were placed on the first floor.

I have been slowly alluding the fact to my wife that we may need some acoustical treatments on the study door and elsewhere. She has no problem with addressing the study doors where the first reflection occurs but it may take some doing to have base traps placed throughout the room. I experimented with some of the cushions from the furniture placed in the corners of the room and it was not as dramatic a change in sound as I would have thought. So to answer your question, the furniture, drapes, screen, and the planned area rug made a huge change in the positive direction and it sounds great! Maybe not perfect, but it sounds great! I had a lot more leway in placing the Klipsch speakers than my Altecs so it hard to make an apple to orange comparison, but I would have to say, the Reference series gives my Valencias a run for there money, especially on the bottom end.

Based on some sound software I ran, my only frequency overlaps are in the 250 to 350MHz range and with the high ceilings, immediate reflections are diminished even further. I read some articles on carpets ability to absorb sound and it is not as good as one would think. I had Berber and that is probably the worst carpet for absorbtion. Shags are best but, come on, who is going to put shag down in a shared room like mine.

2) Laurier is a Canadian company and they have several distributors in the US. I used contemporary 1 but they did a lousy job of making delivery arrangements. I would try to find another distributor if you decide they have what you want. The credenza and cocktail table I purchased is from the Carino series. The credenza was US$1,800 plus shipping.

http://www.laurierfurniture.com/eng/index.html

If you are are going with new flooring, do what I did. Just cut a channel in the floor and run your cables under the new flooring. If you notice, the flooring runs perpendicular to the side walls for added stability over the channel cuts in the foundation. You would never know by walking on them that there is a channel underneath. It was cost effective and very fast to implement. This room was not dedicated so I too was working with a finished room. I found this to be a great solution!

Good luck with your HT and if I can be of any help, please do not hesitate to write me.

If you can't do bass traps then I would highly recommend looking into

helmholtz radiators (they're basically a tuned panel designed to

vibrate sympathetically and out of phase). The cool part is they would

totally fit into the aesthetics of your room! They're a bit more

complicated to build, but definetly worth the effort.

http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1351

http://www.ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html#better%20traps

If you can't do bass traps then I would highly recommend looking into helmholtz radiators (they're basically a tuned panel designed to vibrate sympathetically and out of phase). The cool part is they would totally fit into the aesthetics of your room! They're a bit more complicated to build, but definetly worth the effort.

http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1351

http://www.ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html#better%20traps

I had considered these but I was under the impression that helmholz radiators are frequency specific.

Do they have a range and if so, how wide a band can you address?

Second, where would you suggest I place them since I do not have a back wall?

Helholtz radiators are very frequency specific, but this makes them a

perfect tool for controlling what you're doing. Each frequency is going

to have problems at different locations anyway so this

shouldn't be a huge concern. You will need to do some measuring of your

room if you're going to implement them properly so there will be a

learning curve and extra expense for the equipment. The nice apart

about the measuring is it will tell you where you need to implement

absorbtion and diffusion...I can imagine that the RT60 is a bit long in

your environment (espeically due to the high cieling).

Btw, your open floor plan is really going to minimize any issues with

the lower frequencie so.I think you will need to concentrate more on

some broadband absorbtion up high on the walls.

I would recommend getting well acquainted with your system first to get

an idea of what might need to be treated. No need to treat a problem

that doesn't exist [;)]