Heresy III question

wireless

Hi, just wondering if anyone here is planning on buying the Heresy IIIs.

My dilimma is this: I've owned a number of Klipsch speakers over the years. Started out with some Heresy's in the mid 80s. Quickly moved to some Forte's. Roommate had La Scalas. Decided to go the sourround route in the 90s with the KLF 20 line. Decided that system was too large (also unshielded) and moved to the RF-25 line. Also have an LF-10.

I still own the Fortes. None of the later Klispsch speakers ever matched them in quality or sound. Not even close. I recently sold my RF-25 surround system and I'm going back to a stereo setup. I just don't need a surround system at this time (kids, WAF, etc). I've set up the Fortes and they sound good but they aren't quite up to the WAF (wife acceptance factor).

I'm had decided to buy a pair of Aerial 7bs which are the only speakers that I ever heard that sounded better than my Fortes. Aerial 7bs run about $2k used. Now I see the Heresy IIIs and I'm wonderin' if they might do the trick. Is there any concensus on whether these are going to be any good or not?

In my opinion Klipsch lost their touch after the 80s and as you can see above I gave them a chance. I'm just wondering if the new Heresy is going to be old again - in a good way. :)

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

-Dave

Wireless,

When was the last time you listened to a pair of Khorns or Cornwalls?

If you really like the Fortes, you must be a Cornwall fan too. I haven't heard the new Cornwall IIIs but they may be worth holding out for. I've also heard great things about the new Lascalas. Is it a size issue? Too big? Bad WAF?

I'm not a big reference fan either but I don't think they're as bad as you're making them out to be, especially with the crossover mods available.

I've never heard the Aerials. Are they horn-loaded?

If you're a Forte lover then you'll feel short-changed with the Heresy because it simply can't come anywhere close to putting out the kind of bass that the Forte could; you'll feel as though there's a "hole" in your music, as you rightfully should, because no matter what Heresy you're looking at (even Heresy III), it's not going to go down to 32hz like the Forte.

I believe Gary made the comment about the Cornwall and I must say I agree - if you love the Forte, you would probably love the Cornwall since they're both well-rounded speakers, sonically speaking, offering good highs, outstanding midrange, and deep, powerful bass. In short, they give you everything from the top to the bottom with no audible "hole."

The only problem with them would be the WAF; perhaps, as Dr. Who suggested, a pair of Khorns would work??? Believe it or not, Khorns, when tucked into their corners, are far less obtrusive then Cornwalls...or especially La Scalas, and they simply outclass the other speakers we're talking about.

Of course, if the wife's only interested in the slim, tall, tower designs that are so popular today then she'll probably give you a thumbs down on any heritage speaker...

Wireless,

I'd chime in with a couple of posters who have given very good advice

on considering Khorns. Even though they are of considerable size,

they are indeed less obtrusive in a room than the LaScalas or even

Cornwalls. Once tucked into the corners, the footprint is smaller than

LaScala. If you've got the corners, WAF, and don't mind a drive to pick

them up. They can be had used and in decent condition reasonable

prices. I couldn't believe the sound I was hearing when I got

them in the corners.

I could imagine offering my wife a veto.... after they've been in the listening room for a 30 day trial

. "Honey, You don't like them after that... I'll get rid of them

because you are more important to me than speakers."

There is some great decorating potenial, too.