Klipschorns vs. Martin Logan

Macallan

The K-Horns [...]. On the down side their imaging is far from perfect

(while it is not bad & most speakers have this problem anyway).

Also the the midrange has some problems.

On the other hand, the ML Aerius (I assume your candidates are

roughly comparable) has imaging that is fatastic and a mid-range that

is superb.

Second try... The forum ate my first reply!

The above comments are interesting for two reasons: (1) the mid-horn

is usually considered a strong suit, and (2) the best imaging I have

ever heard is on KHorns.

Would you care to elaborate wrt to imaging in particular? I

hear speakers that completely disappear, and other forum members

testitify to the same effect. The lead vocals appear to come from

the (not functioning) center speaker (people get up to check if it isnt

working) and the instruments can be pinpointed on the stage.

Hardly any sound appears to originate from the speakers. Are you

saying that you don't get this effect? Or that it's not good

enough and you're looking for something more (like more depth)?

Macallan,

I don't think anyone has yet stressed stongly enough how very different these two systems are. Comparing an electrostatic panel / active sub ML to a fully horn loaded high sensitivity KHorn is like comparing an Acura NSX to an Aston Martin Vanquish and asking which is better. I can't imagine that someone who was happy with one would be remotely interested in the other. You really need to listen to these two models (neither of which is going to sound like the speakers you have now), or a family member, to decide which fork in the road you'd rather take...

By the way, I couldn't find any info on a "Vantage". Are you sure that's the model?

Where do you live? There maybe a BB member who has a pair of Khorns you can listen to.

Do you have either the corners or the room for a pair of Khorns?

I think there was post last year about someone who liked RF7's better than Khorns.

For the money you are talking I would listen to both pair's a couple of times before buying.

A couple of bad things in life are buying the wrong speakers and waking up with an ugly woman named Bill.

Good Luck.

Danny

Yes they are called the Vantage, type the word into google and you can see them on the Tweeter website. I like everything i have heard about the K-horns better, i have just never actually heard them. How much would a good used pair cost? I know they are being re-issued in '06, what is the cost new?

I owned magnepans (cousins of the ML) and I own a pair of Klipschorns, I like the sound of both BUT I prefer the sound of horns, they have a macro dynamic (forgive the words) ability the saran wrap speakers lack. I love the detail and micro dynamics (forgive me again) of the saran speakers but I get more jump and drama from my k-horns. It is also very true that I can use less powerful amps with my k-horns, my maggies needed more tha 100watts just to begin cookin´. Personally I think you can be happy building a system around either type of speaker...audtion both, decide on what kind of amp you want to use and this will begin to guide you. also, if you like rock, slam and grand gestures then the horns speakers will be more to your taste IMHO. I hate these type of generalizations but what the hell.

tony

I have (still have but not in use... for sale actually) RF7s and the Martin Logan Summits.

The ML's out perform them in, imaging, clarity, depth and midrange reproduction (vocal, piano, horns) is outstanding.

My amp is a Parasound HALO A51(soon to replaced with the PS AUDIO GCAMC

500 x 7) with C1 processor and the source is a Cary Audio Design

303/300 CDP. Nope it ain't Mark Levinson, Classe, VTL or Halcro but it ain't to bad neither...

With that said the Klipsch at a MSRP of $2,200.00 vs the ML Summits at $10,000.00 is a better value .

Regards,

Mike