driving 4 ohm speakers with A/V receiver...

jdm56

I figured there'd have to be a downside to such a simple fix, but I didn't know what it would be other than wasted amplifier power into the resistor.

But...assuming the use of a separate powered sub for everything below 100Hz or so, would the reduced damping factor still be an issue?

Or you could just not turn up the volume dial all the way [;)]

Seriously though, the reason for the 8 ohm limit is because twice the

amount of current flows into a 4 ohm load. If you wanted to find the

limits of your reciever, plug in an 8 ohm speaker with the same

sensitivity as your 4 ohm speaker. Measure the max SPL (where the amp

starts to clip) and then switch to the 4 ohm speaker and don't

ever go above the SPL u just measured. In other words, don't tell the

reciever to output more current than it is capable of providing (this silly little test is just a way to figure out the limits).

Also, the 8 ohm rating for a speaker is a nominal level. The actual

impedance at a specific frequency can be anywhere between 2 and 400

ohms! If your 4 ohm speaker doesn't dip much lower then you should be

just fine with your reciever.

So I guess more specifically...what 4 ohm speaker are you looking to hook up to what reciever?

I bought three ADS HT400LCR's to use accross the front. They are 8 ohm, so no problem, BUT, I would like to possibly use the ADS HT300's in back, and they are 4 ohm. My receiver, is a Pioneer Elite VSX-55TXi, and is not specifically rated for 4 ohm loads, although it does have a switchable 6/8 ohm operating mode. -Not sure what is happening in the different modes.

I'm thinking I might be able to get by with using four of the 4 ohm speakers as surrounds because they aren't really doing THAT much most of the time, but I'm just a little leary of it.

Just fyi, the ADS HT400LCR's are pictured in my avatar. They are about 16"x7"x10" (HxWxD)and weigh a healthy 39 pounds each. They use steel and aluminum enclosures, with a pair of 5 1/4" mid-woofers and a 1" dome tweeter. The HT300's are the samedesign, except they use just one mid-woofer and the box is shorter. They weigh 20 pounds each.

I'm thinking I might be able to get by with using four of the 4 ohm speakers as surrounds

I'm not sure if you mean in a 7/6.1 configuration, but if you use them in 5.1, you can run a pair in series, and you'll achieve the 8 ohm load.

You wouldn't be having this dilema if you were to use Klipsch brand speakers. [;)]

7.1 is the configuration I'm doing. Currently I use these little Radio Shack Minimus 77's which are cheap imitations of ADS L310's. The RatShack jobs are 8 ohm though, so there is no problem there (other than the cheap drivers and cross-over[:$]). I may just stay with them for the time being - they actually do a pretty decent job for surround duty. I am always tempted though, to have everything matching, ya know?

The ADS 400's are incredible for their small size and cost, and the 300's would be a natural for the surround positions, other than the low impedence. I could use 400's all around, but that seems like overkill. Maybe I should use just two and limit it to 5.1 - that's not a bad option. Those two back surrounds seem to me not too needful, really. I guess it depends on the room and set-up.

Unless you have an especially WIERD amplifier (which I doubt), almost all modern direct-coupled transister output stages are designed for and are capable of supporting both 4 or 8 ohms interchangably without any problems whatsoever.

Considering that no speaker actually presents either a true 4 or 8 Ohm impedance to the amp, it is a tempest in a teapot, anyway.

DM

As stated, it will not be a big deal, just do it.

The real problem is heat generated by the higher current flow allowed by the low impedance speakers. Limit the heat by controlling the loudness or by ensuring there is plenty of cooling and the receiver will be fine.

NAD receivers are rated for 4 ohms (perhaps even down to 2 ohms).

h/k receivers are not technically rated for 4 ohms in the manual, but

they are "high current" and are regularly tested to 4 ohms in reviews.

I tried my h/k avr-325 on a friend's 4-ohm nominal speakers because he

had no dynamics at all with an Onkyo (not rated for 4 ohms) and it

sounded fantastic in comparison. He bought a NAD to solve his

problems. It sounds good but suffers some software glitches and

he needs to reset it once in a while.

I think my receiver (Pioneer Elite 55TXi) could probably handle the load, at least on the surrounds. I drove the B&W 703's with it for awhile and had no problems. They are actually rated as an 8 ohm speaker, but according to tests, they actually dip down close to 3 ohms in the bass.