khorns

shawn patrick

im looking for info on refinishing a pair of k horns

would installing new front and top face wood be a bad idea? im thinking of maple ply with edge banding.

cab vaneer is in bad shape i would like to

restore them and spray a tabbaco finish

such as on on a gibson les paul

i also need new bottom grilles

were can i find them?

any help on this matter woud be great

ty shawn patrick

Shawn Patrick, Welcome!!!

If you are thinking about reveneering or firmly cementing a new thin face on the front panel of a bass bin in poor condition, it would be beneficial. If you are thinking of replacing the front panel itself, there really is no way. It is an integral piece of the bass bin assembly applied with brads and a very strong glue. Removal could well destroy the Khorn.

The top board is held on by just 4 screws and is easily removed for refinishing,reveneering or replacement.

I don't know if Klipsch sells the side grills still, give the parts dept a call at 1-800-554-7724. Several forum members have made new ones and applied grill cloth. If you have access to a table saw, that may be an option.

Rick

• 2 weeks later...

hi Rick thank you for the info

i thought the front panels were just screwed on

so you just saved me a hell of a headache

i obtained these from a storage lockout auction

they went unsold so my bosses told me to take

them..............what a freebee

but the cabs are very rough looking but solid

the grills got thrown out by accident

i will try klipsch for the grills

just one more question

do you think a flame/birds eye maple

in a tabbaco sunburst would be a good choice?

i build and refinish guitars so i always think

in terms of hand rubbed laquer

thank you very much

shawn patrick

I like it much. Just make sure your base plywood is flat by filling in the voids or cracks or scrapes with plastic wood or fibreglass (corners for strength) prior to appliying the new veneer. Don't use any cheap glue, check to see what a patternmaker uses on his molds and they mix sawdust cut from the same veneer to color the glue properly. When I did mine I removed the top section then screwed two pieces of plywood temporarily to the top and bottom of the bass section so the speaker would lay flat. Don't screw the screws all the way through the speaker plywood unless the areas are

non compartmental. The speaker plywood is usually very straight. If you use a belt sander use a big one, no cheapy as the cheapy will make it worse. I had a 3" Makita that was garbage and had to bias the pressure to the left side to get it to sand level.

JJK