Bob's Bargain-o-Rama***

CaptnBob

The holidays are coming and I need to convert Bob's speakertarium back into a guest bedroom. So here are a few things I'll be listing on ebay shortly.

Things I will sell:

Marantz 300DC - nice shape, sounds smooth but for some reason I find it curiously uninvolving (how's that for a sales pitch?) These things do have a following, so it could just be me.

(2) Altec Valencia B - nice wood, good corners, one has a scratch on side near the back, but you can't see it unless the light is right. New fabric grilles - have any of those mid seventies foam grilles survived?

(2) Klipsch Heresies - HDBR - Late seventies (I think - I have to check the serials.) A bit rough, varnished, with holes drilled for flying - thankfully none into back chamber. They sound good, though.

(2) Stephens-Trusonic 150CX - I was going to try these in the aforementioned Altec Valencias - making them into a three-way - but I never got around to it. Reconed, so they don't have that Shephens red surround, and the tweeters have a bit of tarnish, and one of the crossovers has a chip out of the flange and is missing the plastic knob. These things sound great, though - definitely able to stand alongside the Altec 604.

Ives 1134 standard gauge steam locomotive (just thought I see if you were still paying attention.)

Hadley 621 40 watt per channel power amp - cosmetically a little beat up, but it sounds great. A bit of hi-fi history - one of Bongiorno's first jobs.

Marantz 33 preamp - midway between the famous 7-T and the well thought of 3300 lies the 33. Sounds a lot like the 7-T. Looks ok from the front, paint on the sides a bit scratched. A good preamp, but operationally a bit ideosyncratic - lots of sliders and a separate volume knob for the headphones.

Harman Kardon Citation Eleven preamp - Beater, but cheap. Everything but the two lowest frequencies on the eq seems to work, though.

Things I might sell:

(2) Klipsch LaScalas raw birch with lots of tung oil, which turned them a bit yellow. I'm a bit conflicted on these - I don't really want to sell them, but I can't really justify keeping them either. Your choice of someone's idea of rebuilt AA crossovers or stock ALs. I bought these to use on remotes, but felt guilty when I saw they were beginning to take damage, so I bought some EV Sentry IVs which were already beat up. There are a few chips around the top edge and some scratches (and a big black scuff) on one side.

Marantz 19 receiver - scope works, some kind of goop on the dial glass - not too apparent. No dial pointer light and evidently never had one.

McIntosh 4100 receiver - sounds great, cosmetically very good - except where the contact paper is peeling off the cabinet - what were they thinking? Very versatile - you can have it turn on and off with a clock radio. Kind of an ugly duckling design-wise, but just like the one Orson Welles had in the background of his "sell no wine before its time" commercials.

All this stuff is convenietly near St. Louis.

I found a few more things.

A sealed box purporting to be a NOS motor for an Ampex 600 series tape recorder. A bunch of other Ampex transport parts too.

Maybe - a pair of empty "decorator" Shorthorns - "Klipschkits." Not pretty, but could be gussied up. Comes with an extra set of motor boards cut for a 12" co-ax - that's as far as I got with that experiment... Abourt $200.

• 2 weeks later...

About $700 for the steam engine. The tender has some bulges from "zincpest," and the boiler casting, I'm told by experts, has had the window struts replaced. The headlight bracket has been broken and glued back on. The drivers and pony truck wheels are replacements. The rollerball moter is beautiful, although I haven't run it much, as the aforementioned experts advised me against it - vibrations aggrivate the zincpest. It did lock up once in while in forward, but not in reverse. I could never get it to do it on a regular basis, though.

If you want one to run, I'm also selling an MTH version of the same engine from the circus train. It's pretty much just sat on the shelf, test run, but that's about it. $700 as well.

Never thought you'd see that in a Klipsch forum, did ya? Of course PWK had a thing for model trains, so I guess it's ok.

Bob, any photos available or asking prices? If those Heresies are still available, I might go for them. I'm also going to have to road trip down south sometime soon to pick up some LSI splits, so could maybe stop by if we work some deals.

Also if anyone else would need anything brought back up INdy/Chicago way, I could maybe help if it's not too big.

Michael

Bob, I might be interested in the Shorthorn project. Just got one that my uncle put together in 1955. You say you have a pair of kits? Are they still flat? Do you have drivers or anything for them or are they just the boxes?

I think Duke might be looking for nude LS cabinets but he's in NY, have you heard from him?

Michael