Advent Specs

colterphoto1

Which specs are you looking for Michael?

There were actually three versions of the Original Old Advent -- though most aren't aware of it. They looked identical, and used the exact same two drivers with the same 1000Hz crossover point. However, the networks were different. One network up to about serial number 46,000, another up to around 85,000, and a final iteration after 126,000. I have notes, I just have go dig 'em out. At any rate, this was the one with the masonite ring around the driver, which is a 10 incher on a 12" pin cushion. Oddly enough, it's technically a 7 3/4" driver.

Later there was a "The Large Advent Loudspeaker". The woofer was a true 10" driver, which had a stamped basket. There was no masonite ring on these. The crossover was bumped up to 1500Hz on these.

I never owned or played with the Small Advent, so I don't know much about it.

I was wondering more about specs for the woofers. I know that sealed boxes aren't as critical as bass reflex, but would like to do these with parts express woofers as inexpensively as possible. I don't need them, just wanted to fix em up and sell at cost for people in need of stereo speakers for porch, garage etc.

The larger ones have holes that would accomodate 12" cones, the cutout is 11" exactly. I have no baskets to check actual cone size.

The smaller ones have like a 9 1/2 " mounting hole for maybe 8" or 10" woofer, I don't know about any masonite rings.

The tweeters are funny dome units mounted on metal plates that fit over 3 1/4 x 3 3/4 rectangles, that'll be a toughie. Probably just get inexpensive domes for those. maybe tweak the xover a bit to balance the drivers. I dunno?

Michael

I don't know the T/S parameters for the woofers, and I'm not sure anyone does anymore. I would use the 'speaker wizard' at partsexpress if you want to find something inexpensive for those boxes. The problem here is the major amount of fill used in those cabinets which screws the math all up. I wish I understood better how that all works exactly, but I can never seem to find the time to get into that aspect of all this. Your buddy Dr. Who can probably help you here.

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&DID=7&WebPage_ID=100

Don't you still have the original woofers? What do we have here -- just some foam rot? Partsexpress sells the surround kits for both of those. It would be a lot cheaper than new drivers that may or may not work right.

Incidently, those tweeters are still in high demand. The Old Advent has a large following and has achieved cult status. Also, it's about the only tweeter out there that goes down to a 1000Hz without throwing fits -- so DIY'ers dig them too -- I myself own nine of them, and I also have a half dozen of the woofers. These are the speakers I grew up with, and I hoard this stuff like the gold it is.

Can you describe the tweeter for the Large Advent, I've just got boxes with holes. But they are nice Walnut boxes, real wood! In pretty good shape. I could just take a couple guesses and order some $20 woofers, see what happens. Maybe DrWho could help.

No baskets or cones at all for the Larges. THey are stuffed with glass, I think it makes the apparent volume 1.5 x if memory serves. The Parts express calculator doesn't seem to be working for sealed boxes. keeps returning Null set of responses no matter what I do.

The smaller ones have tweeters (wonder if theyr'e the same as what was in larges), and cones, with surrounds totally rotted out. I might just do the surround repair kits on them.

Well if you are planning on dumping the old woofers and dropping in new

ones, then you don't even need to know the old specs...maybe the

sensitivity and impedance if you're hoping to do a dropin with the old

network. All we need to know is the cabinet volume and the dimensions

of the port (or is it a sealed design). Perhaps an F3 on the old

systems would be nice so as to approach the overall timbre of the

original (if it's a sealed design).

They're sealed, I have no old woofers, and no specs. Should I just buy a cheap 12" of similar physical style that's good for a smaller enclosure? I don't know how to apply all those woofer specs if it's just a sealed box, but surely one of those numbers must apply, right?

If I read the uf number off the xover caps, we should be able to discern where the low cutoff point for the tweeter is, then just get a dome tweeter of similar efficiency?

Michael

They're sealed, I have no old woofers, and

no specs. Should I just buy a cheap 12" of similar physical style

that's good for a smaller enclosure? I don't know how to apply all

those woofer specs if it's just a sealed box, but surely one of those

numbers must apply, right?

If I read the uf number off the xover

caps, we should be able to discern where the low cutoff point for the

tweeter is, then just get a dome tweeter of similar efficiency?

Are you replacing the tweeter too? Sounds like a whole new speaker project built around that cabinet [;)]

How loud do you want these speakers to play as that will be the

ultimate limitation on the driver choice. And we're looking to go as

cheap as possible while still sounding acceptable right?

What's the internal volume of the speaker? Or if nothing else, what are

the outside dimensions? I'll go hunt down a few drivers and post some

graphs. I've got a few drivers in mind, but they don't go very loud

(like 105,110dB max).

Seems like a few scratches, but some Liquid GOld would cover them up. All had near perfect grilles with logo plates, though the burlap was a little saggy. I think they're doable. So that really is a smaller woofer housed in a masonite mounting ring. Really bizarre. The tweets on the smaller ones look just like that- metal plate with covered dome tweeter and kind of pierced metal mesh over it in blue/green color- so those look original. Maybe I can steal them from the small speakers and put on the bigger ones?

Michael

The Advent is 86dB/w. Crap, just buy some tweeters off of ebay, and pick up the right woofers and do the surrounds.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Fws%2F&fkr=1&from=R8&satitle=advent+tweeters&category0=

Uh, get four and stack them with a 200wpc amp. Better yet, six or eight a side. Fasten your seatbelts.

Well Michael, you did say you were a little burnt out. When I get burnt out it's mostly from boredom. :)

IF the tweeters in the small ones look like the ones in our pictures -- then you can use them.

The networks are 12db/octave. Are the serial numbers still on the back? If not, then you can still find them on the inside. There should be a mesh cloth that covers the batting -- if so, it will have a sticker somewhere on it with the serial number. Once I know the serial number, I can tell you the values of the caps you need to replace -- and they do need replaced. 30 year old electrolytics are worse than 30 year old cans. It will either be two 8uF caps or a single 8uF and 16uF.

I need a vacation -- want me to down and bring presents.:)

Very late in the game they went with foam. Early models used fiberglass batting.

I need to go check my Advent/DQ-10 inventory. I think I might have a set of woofers that need the surrounds done -- I jist can't remember. Be back in a few.

The smaller cabinet have 3" thick block of upholstery-type foam rubber inside. The Larger ones have pink Owens-corning style fibreglass in them. Perhaps they were 'modified' by another owner, I don't know. If they should have the foam, I'll steal it from the little guys as well.

M