Help with setting up receiver and subwoofer Crossover, Please!

whitedog

Hello people as you can see im new here, since you guys know more than i do. Can you please help me with setting up my receiver and subwoofer crossover settings? I am totally lost with this, i own the following equipment.

RF15's

RC25

RB10's

KSW10

Pioneer VSX-D912

If this helps the receiver's x-over goes down to 100Hz and the room is 12 x 13

Only to 100hz, i set mine to 80, but in ur case 100 since it's the lowest. It will concentrate more from a 100 hz down which is want u want for movies and for me even music. The 80 or 100 mark is best for floorstanders because u want the sub to take care of the the lower bass and floorstanders to do mids in ur case as well as mine. I have it set like 80 on my receiver and like 105 on my sub. This keeps it sounding solid without it having a boomy and yucky bass. Like if u set it to 200hz it has a broader area and doesn't concentrate as much under just 100, which u can surely tell. At 200 it sounds to exaggerated and boomy. Hope this helps. But seriously just set it urself and play around with the settings and ur ears will let u know what sounds best, but my advice is for my system and suits my ears, and i'm pretty critical. Good luck.

I usually get it where I think it should be, sit in the main listening position and have someone adjust the crossover on the sub until it sounds good (this may also require the output level to be adjusted at the same time. Just get someone to make the adjustments while you sit and listen. Oops, forgot to mention it helps when you play something thru the system while doing this...silly me.

HF

Bill is right. Set the sub crossover to the highest setting it

has and let the receiver do the job. By dumb luck, I'd say 100 Hz

is a pretty good point for your RF/RB speakers. Be sure all

speakers are set to "small".

Go to Radio Shack and buy a sound meter. Set your levels,

including the sub, with the meter pointed up at a 45 degree angle while

sitting in your favorite chair. Your receiver should have test

tones to help even for the sub. The sub will be set much lower

than you imagine.

Whitedog - Not sure if you just bought these, but if so do you have the

ability to swap out the KSW-10 for a -12? Not a big deal if not,

but if you can you'll gain a pair of outputs on the sub-amp, which

would let you run your main speakers through it and use its variable

x-over setting and bypass the one in the receiver. Your mains are

rated down to 46hz or so, and probably shouldn't be crossed over at

100hz if you can work it out.

Also, I find a 12" sub gives me a little more power without becoming boomy.

As I said, though, if you're unable to exchange, it's no big deal. Your system will sound very nice as it is!

For now i cant get rid of the sub i got all the speakers really cheap(less than 1100.00) from a dealer that is going out of business, but eventually i will upgrade the receiver and sub. When you guys say to put the sub att the highest level do you mean the volume? Right now i have the sub at level 5 (it goes up till 11) with the lowpass at 100hz. The receiver has 3 x-over points 100hz, 150hz, 200hz and i have it 100hz. The speakers are set to Large except the surrounds the subwoofer seting on the receiver is set at PLUS also the receiver has a Loudness option (similar to car stereo) that extends the bass and treble but i have it turned off. Sorry for the naging but i want this thing to sound as best as it can, Thaks!!!