question for you about rf-3's!

Brayton5232

Ok a guy i know is wanting to sell his klipsch rf-3 l system for 350. He bought it back in 2000 and he says there isn't really anything wrong with everything except on the rears, he has no grills, on one of the rf-3's on of the woofer has a small crease in it. However about the crease he says that doesn't effect the sound and i've read reviews that those speakers have issues with doing that. Do any of you think it's a good deal? I think it is as along as they are in descent shape. His center is rc-3 and his rears are a rs-3 i believe. I'm excited, and i hope they are what they say they are.

The Cerametallic woofers of the Reference series are very delicate. Often people keep the grill off of their Reference speakers because the copper cones are so pretty to look at. But, if you accidentally bump the cone, it may show a spot (dent). Occasionally the cones wrinkle from contact as well. This could be caused by over-excursion, I suppose. Often it is from bumping up against the cone.

Either way, $350 for the entire Reference 3 set is a good deal. Usually, just the RF-3's alone go for that price.

Unless the damage is major, there is usually no sound difference, I think. I've seen many Reference speakers for sale with dented and wrinkled cones, but everyone says they sound just the same and are only hurt cosmetically. Whether this is 100% true, I am unsure. All cones on my Reference are still perfect (I keep the grills on at ALL TIMES because of other people and cats in the house).

Is the price $350 for the whole set or just the RF-3's? If for just the RF-3's it is still a pretty good deal. If for everything (Rf-3's, surrounds, and center), it is a darned good deal.

Snap em up. I have the 3's for surrounds, bought them with 1 creased driver, was able to remove from cabinet and straighten out. They are fragile especially with grilles off. You would not be able to measure any difference w/ a crease let alone hear it. I used them as mains until I bought my 7's. They are great speaks, similar to the 7's, just a little less of it.

350 for the pair of RF3's alone is worth the price of admission.