Music that doesn't fit...

TommyC

This question was thought of because of a comment made to me today. What in your music collection would shock people who know you and your music tastes? The comment that brought this up was made by a friend who was shocked to hear Rage Against the Machine blasting out my windows when he stopped by today. For me, the two that don't fit with the rest of my collection are the already mentioned RATM (of which I have everything they ever recorded) and The Beastie Boys (I don't care for their most recent work). I love both of these even though they are nothing like what I usually listen too. Rage is also the music that sees the highest volume levels in my system. It is just Meant to play LOUD! I actually had a cop ask me if I didn't think I was a bit old to be listening to The Beastie Boys earlier this year! [:D]

Since my family and friends know me for my vast collection of classical pipe organ recordings, large symphonies, some jazz and blues, and for my love of classic rock of the '60s, '70s, and early '80s, they're really surprised to learn I also enjoy these two albums: 311 - Transistor, and Prodigy - The Fat Of The Land. These two also don't fit in with my collection, and the only way to enjoy them is LOUD!

And at nearly 43, I'm way too old to be listening to this stuff...but I do, with relish![:P]

Hell, I'm on the far side of 50 and listen to Jazz close to 18 hours a

day,...but every once in a while there's nothing like a little T.Rex -

"Bang A Gong."

As a matter of fact, I think it's time to wake up the four B&K amps

and give the LaScala's, Cornwalls, Heresys and RC-7 a work out.

See you tomorrow.

James

People who know me expect the unexpected with regards to my musical tastes. Most of my friends will have at least something in common with me but never everything. I can usually recommend something to a friend (who has a specific taste in music) something they have never heard before and they will almost always like it.

About 10 years ago on one of my last 'big' purchases of music I went to a local store (not the stupid big chain types) where the owner was able to find just about any CD for me and order it. Some of the artists I remember: Orbital, Incantation, Mr. Bungle, Frank Zappa, and John Coltraine. The owner remarked, "Quite a spectrum you've got here." In fact, his tastes were even wider than mine -- he not only knew all of the artists, but also had listened to all of the albums I wanted -- and then recommended some more stuff to me (kind of like in the ending of the first paragraph I wrote).

I like listening to as much different music as possible which creates two problems for me: 1)time 2)money (and some say the two go hand in hand).

I can see my self retiring in about 30 years, wiggling my toes in the sand on some beach, sippin on sum'tin, and cranking up some Slayer.

And