Outlaw 750 Power Amp?

Craig6519

I've been debating on purchasing the Outlaw 750 Amp, It's rated at 5x165Watts @ 8 ohms for $1099. Just wondering If any of you would suggest a differnt 5 Channel amp in that price range that would be better.

------------------

Klipsch KLF30 Mains

Klipsch KLF-C7 Center

Klipsch KSP-S6 Surrounds

Klipsch KG4 Surrounds

Klipsch KSB 1.1 Front Effects

Dual SVS 20-39CS Sub's

Samaon S700 Sub Amp

ART 351 Eq.

Yamaha DSP-A1

Yamaha MDX-793 Mini disc

Yamaha TX-492 Tuner

Sony CDP-C701ES 5 disc Player

Panasonic A110 DVD

Hitachi MX6080EM Muli-system HI-FI VCR

Hitachi 29" T.V.

Denon DP-37F Turntable

Acurus 200FIVE - 200x5 receiver. Got it at UBID delivered to my home for less than $1,000 and it's fully warranted for 2 years ... checked with one of the Mondial/Klipsch rep. Now, I don't know if it's better than the Outlaw but it sure improved the sound of my system which consist of the Legend line and a 3801 receiver. Now the 3801 is just serving as my preamp and what a difference. I am waiting on the the Outlaw 950 preamp ... seems to be feature packed and will definitely take advantage of their try at home offer ... but of course I pay for shipping.

discusman - I'm curious about your reasons for changing to the Outlaw preamp instead of using the 3801 as your preamp. I just added an Acurus 200x3 (and experienced similar improvements as you mentioned) to my Denon 3300, and I find that the once-thought-to-be-silent Denon has a relatively noisy preamp (relative to the quietness of the Acurus), that I can now easily hear as soon as I click the Denon volume from the "---" volume setting to "-60", the first stop. Did you experience similar results with your 3801?

DD2

------------------

Denon AVR-3300

Acurus A200x3

NAD 7155 Receiver

Pioneer PD-F19 CD Changer

Sony CDP-C8ESD CD Changer

Denon 3000 DVD

Toshiba M784 VCR

B&O Beogram 1800 TT

Klipsch Chorus

Klipsch KV-3 Center

Klipsch SS-1 Surround

Klipsch KG4

Klipsch KG3

Klipsch Forte (2pr)

Velodyne CT120 Sub

Sony KP-43T75 RPTV

Monster HTS2000

AudioQuest Copperhead Interconnects

AudioQuest Slate Speaker Wire

Various other interconnects/cables

dd2 ... when i first plugged in my amp into my power conditioner, Monster HTS2500 I immediately heard a hum coming out of the speaker after i turned everything on. I then read somewhere that it could be the cable TV or satelite dish doing this. I unplugged them from the wall and the hum disappeared. I then remembered that i could actually plug my cable into the HTS2500 and it removed 95% of the noise ... still some neglible noise but once music is on then it disappears. Someone else here can probably explain better why this is happening ... not a techie at all. Now as to why i'm looking at the outlaw preamp ... well 3 things - it will have DPLII which would help a lot of my old VHS tapes in terms of movie track sound quality; the amps on my 3801 though not used, stays on all the time drawing power and the amp get's very hot(maybe someone knows if this can be turned off) and the 3rd reason is that everyone says that using a preamp would yield better sound all around .. remains to be seen or heard .. which is why i want to try it. Though not an audiphile, i have pretty good ears and i can at least tell if it sounds better or not.

Hmmm - By the way, I noticed the same effect when I ran my antenna through the Monster power supply -- it dropped the ground hum significantly. But back to your pre-amp points...I have noticed that my Denon 3300 also still gets quite warm, even when using the Acurus for the front soundstage. I would be delighted, though surprised, if there was a way to "turn them off." Please post your findings!

DD2

Dougdrake2 my Denon 3801 has the same minor problem,the preamp is noisy.As soon as the volume leaves the lowest setting the noise can be heard.

This will be a pain if you use speakers like the large hornloaded speakers.I can hear the noise too well with the Klipsch FR-5's(still waiting for the RF-7's Frown.gif ).

When I conect an outboard monster amp the noise jumps out even more!

And its true Discusman,even when "not" used the internal amps are HOT!Denon should have an option to DISABLE the internal amps when an outboard amp is used.

Unless I did not read my manual well,I did not find a AMP OFF switch...the only close to amps off is when you disable the amps to listen thru headphnes?!

I will write to Denon about this.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Craig6519 to answer the question about the Outlaw power amp.Yes this amp is a real deal.I would say very similar to the ATI 1505.These amps can dive speakers with ease,great sound quality and all the power you may need(even in a large room).

The Acurus amps are also great values.

You cant go wrong with Acurus or Outlaw.

TheEAR(s) Now theears