X10 Control Question

eq_shadimar

I have recently taken the plunge into the X10 of home automation and it is very very cool!! I am wondering if anyone here has seen some sort of X10 device that can sense a video signal from a DVD player. If I can find one of these then I can use it to trigger some other X10 marcos that I made on my PC to dim the lights and close the drapes etc. I already have the marco working but I have to manually input a code into the remote to trigger it. I am lazy plus I would like to have the "wow" factor of having it done when the movie starts playing like in the real cinema's. Any ideas would be great.

Thanks,

------------------

FOR SALE OR TRADE COMPLETE R*3 SYSTEM FOR 3 HERESY'S

Main System -

Cornwalls (L/R main)

RC-3

RS-3's (white)

SVS 20-39CS

Harman Kardon AVR 510

Hafler P505 (running sub)

ProMedia 4.2 v400 for PC

eq_ - Try looking at www.smarthome.com. They have several sensing devices, but not sure about one for a VCR signal.

Another approach would be to get a programmable remote that you can create a macro in that will, at the push of a button, start your VCR then send the X10 macro activation code -- a macro to start a macro, if you will. Perhaps the remote you have now will do that.

DD2

P.S. If you're really into automating the HT, get a Philips Pronto remote. You can macro 'till your heart's content. Mine outputs X10 commands as well, which turns on/off bass shakers, amps, dims lights, etc...

This message has been edited by dougdrake2 on 10-09-2001 at 04:39 PM

Well I found what I was looking for on that site....but it would cost ~$300 to do it. DOH!! I guess I am not that lazy after all. Maybe I will save up for the voice control systems. Imagine being able to have the following conversation:

Me - Computer

House - Yes Captian?

Me - Engage

House - At Once

Result - Lights dim, all the correct inputs are selected, and the movie starts playing

Or I could just train my dog to operate everything...humm

How much is that Phillips remote?

Laters,cwm9.gif

------------------

Main System -

Cornwalls (L/R main)

RC-3

RS-3's (white)

SVS 20-39CS

Harman Kardon AVR 510

ProMedia 4.2 v400 for PC

This message has been edited by eq_shadimar on 10-10-2001 at 09:51 AM

eq_ - Are you using the X10 remote that comes with the home control kit? I can't remember -- does it have macro capability? Can it control your VCR and other devices? That would be the cheapest solution, but not necessarily the most flexible.

The Pronto TSU2000 is in the mid-200's I believe. You might find one on Ebay for less. It is wonderful, IMHO. To use it, you also need the X10 IR interface from Smarthome or www.worthdist.com (about $25) to convert the Pronto IR output into an X10 signal on the power line.

I think several board members have Prontos (or the Marantz equivalent).

DD2

LOL well if I could get Diana Troy to do that it would be great toocwm12.gif

I am goimg to look at the reomte deal. The 6 in 1 remote that came with the kit can only do X10 macros not Infra Red macros. Really it works fine. I just wanted the WOW factor but for $300 I would rather get a C-7 or some Heresy's sigh.....

Thanks for the good input guys.

Bye,

------------------

Main System -

Cornwalls (L/R main)

RC-3

RS-3's (white)

SVS 20-39CS

Harman Kardon AVR 510

ProMedia 4.2 v400 for PC