Never knew it could be so good!

I've had my RF7 surround setup for three years now and in that period of time have gone thru a variety of amps to try to find the ultimate capability of the 7s in 2 channel. I've also incorporated Dean G's mods in my towers and center...all in search of the proverbial audio holy grail. Power wise I went from a Denon 3801 receiver to Rotel separates featuring a RMB 1075 125 wpc amp which was later replaced with a 200wpc RB 1080. The more power I added the better the 7s got. Recently I needed to experiment with the latest class D stuff so I tried a Rotel 1077 which is rated 100wpc, but I understand will deliver just about all the current one needs. The 1077 was actually a big improvement over the 200 wpc 1080 in all areas except soundstage.

Last week I noticed Klipsch was selling off the last of the Aragon 3005s on eBay. I aggresively bid on the silver one and won it. Today it arrived. The title above says it all. I find it hard to believe that such an efficient speaker as the RF7 would actually need 300 wpc, but boy oh boy does it appreciate 300wpc.

I have taken lots of flack when I claimed that the RF-7s open up more with amps bigger than 200 wpc. The impedance dip in the RF-7s makes them a difficult load. The phase angle eats up lots of power as well:

http://www.sound.westhost.com/patd.htm

The big Aragon must have not only an excellent power supply, but must have plenty of output devices per channel. True high current is what makes the 7s sing.

It is good to hear that every person that tries a BIG solid state amp likes the results on the RF-7s.

Bill

The whole family noticed the difference immediatly. Not in volume, but in the depth and extension of the bass.

Yes, the volume thing, taken by itself with just a SPL meter, is fairly

pointless and misleading. My TV's built-in 2-inch speaker will go over

100dB easily, but it will sound awful at that level. Similarly,

flea-watt amps can reach those dB heights, but man alive do they ever

show the stress of being out of their design range. I still cringe when

I have flashbacks of my auditions of SET amps.

Glad you found something you all enjoy so much.