Rotel 1075 and Rf 7's

erikm121

Quality used amps are out there for the careful buyer at reasonable prices. You really do need a 200 wpc in a solid sate amp for RF-7s just to start to fully tap their potential.

The smaller Rotel will work, but it will not have enough current capability to drive the RF-7s to their full potentail. The watts are ok, but only the most stout amps can handle the 2.8 ohm minimum impedance of the 7s. If the current isn't there when needed, frequency response will suffer due to voltage drop.

Bill

I have always run my RF-7s as small. At 80 Hz crossover, you still get signal as low as 40 Hz. The impedance dip is always there to some extent even when the speakers are set as small.

The small setting reduces doppler distortion aka frequency modulation distortion. It also helps reduce bass cancellations and reduces power requirements somewhat. However, the mid-range improves all the way to 400 wpc with the speakers set to small.

Many RF-7 users have reported similar information. It seems that the RF-7s love power, the more the better.

Bill

I agree with the Dr.

My approach with a limited budget is choose a receiver that will serve you well as a preamp. One with all the bells and whistles you want and adequate power to get very satisfactory sound.

Then, as your budget allows, add separate amplifier(s) later and use the receiver soley for signal processing and switching.

I agree with the Dr.

My approach with a limited budget is choose a receiver that will serve you well as a preamp. One with all the bells and whistles you want and adequate power to get very satisfactory sound.

Then, as your budget allows, add separate amplifier(s) later and use the receiver soley for signal processing and switching.

This is rather odd advice because no one has been chatting about receivers. The original post was about getting a Rotel RMB-1075 amp with about 120wpc or going for something like the RMB-1095 amp with 200wpc.

• 1 year later...

I think Jeff woke-up on the wrong side of the bed. Mr.(or Mrs.) Westcott was just trying to be helpful. Man, can't we all just get along?

Thanks bhenry. Everybody has their moments and I have tough skin.

I made those comments because it is obvious money is an issue. If it were not, he would not have posed the question in the first place.

Separates are great but power is not generally their biggest advantage. Signal isolation and larger components\heat sinks are. Most high quality receivers draw about as much power that is allowed after you figure in amp inefficiencies, limits of a single 15amp circuit, limits of a 15 amp wall socket, limits of wall wiring, the IEC limits of 12 amps for plugs used, etc. But, I don't want to bore anyone with simple details like that. The way amps are rated is a joke but if you believe you are going to get 200watts x 7 from your wall socket, go for it.

As long as the room is not huge a solid honnest 70W/channel power amp will do great. RF7's are very efficient speakers and will mostly stay under the 20W bar even on louder passages. Seldom you need a real brute capable of 200-300W per channel,good to know there is plenty of gas in the tank so to speak.

It should always be quality over quantity.