ForteII vs Quart vs KG?

colterphoto1

I've got KG4 and like their sound although the horn is a bit forward. Have heard WHo's mighty Chorus. Seems like whoever 'G' at Klipsch was got the PR thing down pretty good.

Has anyone compared the Quartet to Forte II with each other or either of the above speakers. It seems like a huge jump in price from KG4 to Quartet/Forte II and I wonder what the diff is between the 10/12 layout and the 12/15 layout. Bigger is probably better, but how does it integrate with the horn? Are ALL of these 2-way + PR?

Thanks, I've kinda got my heart set on Forte II, but price seems to be escalation as rapidly as HK430's!

Michael

When I purchased my Forte II new back in the day, I also listened to the Quartet and Chorus II. At that time I already owned KG4s. While I like...no...loved my KG4s they were not even in the same ball park in my mind as the Forte II. It has been a long time but I remember the Fortes sounding a lot more like live music and the KG4s being like recorded music for lack of a better explanation. I even liked the Forte IIs better then the Chorus IIs.

I have always been partial to a 3 way design over a 2 way design...that said they both sound great. Given a choice I would take a Quartet over a KG4 and a Forte II over a Quartet. I also recently sold my original Chorus and kept my Forte II. However that could have been for nostalgic reasons. You can't go wrong with any of the variations of C/F/Q.

The reason I think there is a huge difference in price is analogous to why there should be a big price difference between the synergy and reference line: components, build quality, IR&D, etc. People in this forum tend to forget or don't want to admit that the Chorus/Forte/Quartet speakers along with the Academy were all part of the Heritage line Yes it is true, not pseudo-heritage, or "extended" heritage, just plain heritage. For some reason the children who came later to the heritage family (C/F/Q) get pushed to the side by snobbish, purists who think it ain't heritage if it an KH, LS, BK, or H.

From Klipsch's own web site ...The three-way Heritage Series Forte II was... AND ...The two-way KG Series KG 4 floorstanding...

"It has been a long time but I remember the Fortes sounding a lot more like live music and the KG4s being like recorded music for lack of a better explanation." - RPLACE

I always notice this myself and it's always evident when I'm comparing a three-way vs. a two-way speaker. Or, maybe I should say, a horn-loaded midrange speaker vs. a cone-driven midrange speaker because there are some two-way speakers out there that use a single horn for the mids and highs. A conventional cone simply cannot, to me, produce the "LIVE, RIGHT-THERE" sound that a horn can. Consequently, like you said, I too find that cones produce a LESS-live, more "recorded" sound. IMHO, horns sound "live" while cones sound "dead." Then again, some people may interpret "deadness" to mean "refinement" but that's their rightful opinion. I feel that a speaker's job should be to try to recreate that "live" sound and nothing does that better, to me, then a horn...and a horn-loaded midrange in particular, since, as PWK once said, "The midrange is where we live."

-H2G

The reason I think there is a huge difference in price is analogous to why there should be a big price difference between the synergy and reference line: components, build quality, IR&D, etc. People in this forum tend to forget or don't want to admit that the Chorus/Forte/Quartet speakers along with the Academy were all part of the Heritage line Yes it is true, not pseudo-heritage, or "extended" heritage, just plain heritage. For some reason the children who came later to the heritage family (C/F/Q) get pushed to the side by snobbish, purists who think it ain't heritage if it an KH, LS, BK, or H.

Hey hey now! Us Lascala owners are nothing like the snobbish Khorn owners. Long live the C,F & Q's [;)]

I sold my KG4s a few years back and bought a mint pair of Forte IIs off Audiogon. I loved the 4's but the Forte's are a whole order of magnitude better. Truly wonderful and worth it IMHO. I have them paired with a Scott tube amp and a Rega Planet CD player and it is a nice combination. Before I messed with tubes I was simply running them with an entry level HT rcvr and they still sounded great.

The Quartet and Chorus I believe are probably even better although I've never heard them. Perhaps not as much a leap as going from KGs to Forte though. I don't think you can miss with any of them--let condition and price be your guide.

If you keep the 4's, experiment with placement. Putting them on stands made a significant difference.

MM

• Like 1

Excerpt from the death notice of PKW. By Gary Gillium

I want to express my sympathy for

the worlds loss of a truly gifted and

unique genius, who made an indelible

mark on the world of audio and the

lives of many, including my own.

My life and work has been guided

in some waythough obscure at

times by Pauls fascination with the

reproduction of music ever since I